• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Remington closing?

I keep hearing how new ownership is what caused problems but Cerburus Capital Management (owners of Freedom Group) bought Remington in 2007 when they were just about to go under and in 2008 made them profitable again for the first time in decades. I am not sure that having owned them for 12 years can classify them as new owners and also not sure they are the problem. I am thinking the fact that they have been closed down for months by left wing governor is the bigger issue. Also, they are filing bankruptcy, which is a method of keeping from going out of business. I have heard nothing about closing down for good.

aren't they in Alabama now?

The Remington plant in Illion was scheduled to be closed years ago. I had a snowmobile camp near there and knew quite a few people that worked in that plant. The Union and NY taxes, is what they cited as the reason when they announced the closing, not to mention they were looking to the state for help, which naturally was denied. They opened the Alabama plant just for this reason, but they never followed thru with closing Illion, moving the Ct. (which is a bigger Anti-gun state than NY) Marlin factory from North Haven, and saving some jobs. I think if they ever followed thru with closing Illion they would have done fairly well. The building is a 6 floor old building that wasn't built to modern manufacturing standards., and the area around Herkimer County is either old and decaying, or farmland, and the state has invested more money into research and development in concert with State University of NY than trying to keep the old factories going, especially when you have an anti gun governor.

As far as I can tell the R1 series and other handguns are still being made in Huntsville but not sure what else.

Back
Top Bottom