• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Remington closing?

Remington sold their ammo company to JJE capitol holdings for 65,000,000 a few days ago. Since the company is based in South Carolina it might be Palmetto State Armoury. A couple of weeks ago Palmetto hinted they were getting ready for something big

It's a holding company, which owns PSA among some other stuff.

I don’t think that deal has been finalized. I’d like to see JJE win it as they seem to be firearm oriented with PSA. Looks like Sept 24th is the day Remington picks a winner.

UPDATE: The Wall Street Journal report on which this post was based was premature. JJE Capital Holdings has put in a bid for Remington’s ammunition business. However we’ve spoken to Remington and the JJE bid is one of a number that have been received, both for Remington as a whole and for individual business lines. Most haven’t been made public yet. The bankruptcy court has until September 17th to accumulate all bids and then will finalize the sale(s) on September 24th.

You're right, it's not final at all...

It's what's called a 'stalking horse' bid in the article. They put this in to prevent someone else from bidding anything lower. It doesn't mean they will actually win, or that they won't pay more if a bidding war starts, it just sets a minimum threshold.

Hopefully they will also sell Marlin to someone who has better quality control.

They just got Matlin fixed, the last thing they need is to change things on that brand again.

They completely rebuilt their entire Marlin production line about 5-6 years ago, and the guns they are turning out now, while not JM-level craftsmanship, are solid rifles... A world apart from the post-move, pre-retooling Remlins.

It is PSA for all practical purposes. The three main owners of JJE are the guys who started off building PSA. As they started acquiring other business (who all supply PSA with products) they morphed into JJE Capitol Holdings, Jamin McCallum, Julian Wilson, Edward Laroque, JJE.
https://jjech.com///portfolio-companies/ for a list of companies under the JJE umbrella.

They just got Matlin fixed, the last thing they need is to change things on that brand again.

They completely rebuilt their entire Marlin production line about 5-6 years ago, and the guns they are turning out now, while not JM-level craftsmanship, are solid rifles... A world apart from the post-move, pre-retooling Remlins.
In my opinion they are much better than even the JM stamped stuff from a period say at least 5 years before and a few years after they were acquired by Remington. In that period even stuff with a JM stamp could easily be junk. Many of the Remington built guns still had JM stamps on the barrels because they came with Marlin when they made the move to Ilion NY.

In my opinion they are much better than even the JM stamped stuff from a period say at least 5 years before and a few years after they were acquired by Remington. In that period even stuff with a JM stamp could easily be junk. Many of the Remington built guns still had JM stamps on the barrels because they came with Marlin when they made the move to Ilion NY.
I have a 2009 1894c that’s just meh. Really not that good.
I have a 2008 336 35rem that’s perfect.
Got a 2000 1894p with a canted front sight.

my 2018 1895SBL is the best fit marlin I own. Slickest action too

They put a bid in on the ammo business, but that's it right now.

Anything is possible though. For a while it looked like the Navajo Nation was going to succeed in buying them out.

I have a 2009 1894c that’s just meh. Really not that good.
I have a 2008 336 35rem that’s perfect.
Got a 2000 1894p with a canted front sight.

my 2018 1895SBL is the best fit marlin I own. Slickest action too
I have an 1894 from probably 2015 and it is possibly the smoothest action and nicest finish of any Marlin I have ever owned.

The new Marlins are really pretty good.

They basically tossed out everything they moved over from the old factory. They blueprinted good examples of each model and redrew the engineering documents from them. Meanwhile they installed all new machines and actually trained the operators on their use and ran QC checks on the product.

The result has been the new post-Remlin Marlins. Not the same as the old JMs. but as mentioned above those were not always the Holy Grail, especially just before and during the Remington buy-out.

These new guns are solid, well made and reasonably priced (as much as anything right now). It will be sad if all the progress Marlin has made gets flushed down the tubes because the bankers that own Remington don't know WTF they are doing.

You just described every single large firearms manufacturer in the world. It ain’t about guns, it’s about making money. Don’t call out Remington when everyone else is exactly the same.

The current Remington 700 is an outstanding rifle. I see hundreds a year in the hands of my students and I haven’t seen a bad one yet. They shoot very accurately, and the right models have no issues ringing steel at 1,000yds right out of the box.

Marlin went downhill before Remington got involved. The minute they caved in and installed a mechanical safety on a lever action rifle, they became turds. I won’t own a Marlin or Winchester levergun with a safety. A combination of politics and Union “labor”.

Every gun company that was located in NE either moved and carried on, or stayed and has had serious issues. Winchesters had been overpriced turds for close to 50 years when they got brought back from the grave and relocated to Columbia SC. The SC-built Winchester Model 70’s are the best ones ever built. I would take a modern, production Win70 that came off the line in Columbia to one of the polished turds that came out of Winchester’s “Custom Shop” up in NE.
I think they are assembled in Portugal now. My 257 was made in SC and I like it a lot.

Back
Top Bottom