• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Removing cerakote

No I will have it done.

Cool. Let us know who does it and how it turns out. I'd love to find someone who does small order hard chrome plating.

I don't know anything about the process but I'm pretty sure the metal is slightly polished before they plate it. I don't think they etch the metal at all so I definitely wouldn't put any abrasives to it as you might be making more prep work for them. They will probably blast it off themselves with a very fine glass abrasive.

Here's one of the finest chrome plating facilities in America.

http://www.advancedplating.com/site/shop-tour/

I'm sure they probably have a few youtube videos as well.

I've never sent anything to them due to cost. I always used a guy over in Cali who would send bulk to Mexico for plating. Less regulations and cheaper prices down there. I'm sure the quality doesn't compare though.

Yeah, I was wrong. Just read up on the tech sheet. I bought a scope that a guy said had a “military coating” and I assumed it was Creakote. MEK stripped it in short order.
MEK is some nasty stuff. It should eat just about anything but one of the coolest things about cerakote is its chemical resistance to just about everything. That's what really sets it apart from all other types of colored coatings.

Back
Top Bottom