• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Removing flooring adhesive from concrete.

PapaJohn

Default rank <100 posts
Hunter
44   0
Reaction score
I am replacing the flooring in my basement. Some of the existing flooring is engineered hardwood glued to the concrete. What is the best way to remove the adhesive residue without creating excessive dust or strong odors? I have tried products from Sentinel and Blue Bear that have been ineffective in softening the adhesive. Goof Off works, but generates too much odor. Right now, I am softening the adhesive with a heat gun and hand scraping. This works, but it
IMG_3022.JPG
will take a month of Sundays to get all of the adhesive off.

You’ll need to find a hand grinder with a diamond wheel and a vacuum shroud. Hooked to a shop vac with a good filter plus a bag filter. Maybe you can rent something or someone on here can lend you one. It’s the fastest way to get it done.

Another option is to pour self leveler like an ardex product over the top. Just have to make sure you have room to bring the floor up.

What are you putting down over it? The best way I have ever removed it was with a scraper. The glue will gum up grinders when it heats up. I used one like the one below. Just buy a lot of blades. It came up pretty quick for me. But the finish on the concrete was trowled in pretty tight. Your concrete looks kida rough. Which makes it much harder.

Back
Top Bottom