• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Renew Weapons Permit in GA

chris1972

Default rank <400 posts
Survivalist
31   0
Reaction score
How to re-apply for a carry permit in GA when before current one expires. Do we have to go through another background check or is there a way to just renew. Thanks

Currently the process to renew a firearms license is nearly identical to the process for obtaining a new license. The only differences between a new license and a renewal is that fingerprints are no longer required and if you already have a license and you are within 90 days of expiring to no more than 30 after expiring, you can request a temporary renewal license that is valid for 90 days when you apply. That way you can continue carrying while the appliction is being processed.
Temporary Renewal License

• Any person who holds a license under this Code section to carry a pistol or revolver may, at the time he applies for a renewal of the license, also apply for a temporary renewal license if less than 90 days remain before expiration of the license he then holds or if his previous license has expired within the last 30 days.
  • Unless the judge of the probate court knows or is made aware of any fact which would make the applicant ineligible for a five-year renewal license, the judge shall at the time of application issue a temporary renewal license to the applicant.
  • Such a temporary renewal license shall be in the form of a paper receipt indicating the date on which the court received the renewal application and shall show the name, address, sex, age, and race of the applicant and that the temporary renewal license expires 90 days from the date of issue.
  • During its period of validity the temporary renewal permit, if carried on or about the holder's person together with the holder's previous license, shall be valid in the same manner and for the same purposes as a five-year license.
  • A $1.00 fee shall be charged by the probate court for issuance of a temporary renewal license.
For those that have less than 2 months before your license expires, it would probably be a good idea to get a temporary renewal when you apply.

Thanks for the tip - saving this for when I need to renew.

Currently the process to renew a firearms license is nearly identical to the process for obtaining a new license. The only differences between a new license and a renewal is that fingerprints are no longer required and if you already have a license and you are within 90 days of expiring to no more than 30 after expiring, you can request a temporary renewal license that is valid for 90 days when you apply. That way you can continue carrying while the appliction is being processed.
Temporary Renewal License

• Any person who holds a license under this Code section to carry a pistol or revolver may, at the time he applies for a renewal of the license, also apply for a temporary renewal license if less than 90 days remain before expiration of the license he then holds or if his previous license has expired within the last 30 days.
  • Unless the judge of the probate court knows or is made aware of any fact which would make the applicant ineligible for a five-year renewal license, the judge shall at the time of application issue a temporary renewal license to the applicant.
  • Such a temporary renewal license shall be in the form of a paper receipt indicating the date on which the court received the renewal application and shall show the name, address, sex, age, and race of the applicant and that the temporary renewal license expires 90 days from the date of issue.
  • During its period of validity the temporary renewal permit, if carried on or about the holder's person together with the holder's previous license, shall be valid in the same manner and for the same purposes as a five-year license.
  • A $1.00 fee shall be charged by the probate court for issuance of a temporary renewal license.
For those that have less than 2 months before your license expires, it would probably be a good idea to get a temporary renewal when you apply.

I just renewed, and in a different county from where I lived five years ago and got my old GWL / carry license.

It was fast and easy. The cost was $30 cash only for the license and one dollar extra for a 90 day temporary license --which is a full sized 8 1/2 x 11 sheet of printer paper that you have to fold up and carry with your soon-to-expire-old-license .

The GWL renewal application is the same three-page form that they require for a brand new application. The only difference is you don't get re-fingerprinted; they run your background check based on your name and date of birth only.

Yes, I renewed last month in Pickens. I was overjoyed that I didn't have roll over to the Sheriff's office to get fingerprinted again. Happy surprise.

Back
Top Bottom