• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Renewing my GFL

CherryCola

Default rank <3000 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
16   0
Reaction score
My GFL expires on the 8th of this month. I will be heading back to GA on the 23rd to renew it and pick up my Glock. I was wondering since it'll be expired for a few days if I am able to get a temp. I also wonder if PA will recognize a temp to be valid. (You guys might not know that.)

I'm finally moving to Philly so I will need to carry 24/7.

If you still have GA. residency then you should be able to renew. Whether or not the Probate Judge will require you to be finger printed again (basically to reapply for the new GWCL) is in question. Some Judges might possibly not just renew without the finger printing since your license is going to be expired before you get back here to apply.

If I was you, I would call your county Probate Judges office and inquire to them if you are going to have to re-apply for the GWCL because your license is going to expire on the 8th of this month.

ETA: Section/Part (i) is the Temporary renewal licenses part of the code section, and it has a part in there about being able to get a temp licenses if your GFL has expired within the last 30 days.

O.C.G.A. § 16-11-129
Weapons carry license; temporary renewal permit; mandamus

(i) Temporary renewal licenses.

(1) Any person who holds a weapons carry license under this Code section may, at the time he or she applies for a renewal of the license, also apply for a temporary renewal license if less than 90 days remain before expiration of the license he or she then holds or if the previous license has expired within the last 30 days.

(2) Unless the judge of the probate court knows or is made aware of any fact which would make the applicant ineligible for a five-year renewal license, the judge shall at the time of application issue a temporary renewal license to the applicant.

(3) Such a temporary renewal license shall be in the form of a paper receipt indicating the date on which the court received the renewal application and shall show the name, address, sex, age, and race of the applicant and that the temporary renewal license expires 90 days from the date of issue.

(4) During its period of validity the temporary renewal license, if carried on or about the holder's person together with the holder's previous license, shall be valid in the same manner and for the same purposes as a five-year license.

(5) A $1.00 fee shall be charged by the probate court for issuance of a temporary renewal license.

(6) A temporary renewal license may be revoked in the same manner as a five-year license.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom