• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Repairing flat screen TVs

rbstern

Hen of Fame Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
115   0
Reaction score
Holiday season before last, I bought a 55" Sharp flat screen TV from Best Buy. Nice TV, basically a Hisense with Roku, branded as a Sharp, exclusive to Best Buy.

It died a premature death at the hands of a lightning strike. Figured it would just be part of the insurance claim. Did some searching on the model number, and came upon a site called shopjimmy.com, who sell flat screen tv repair components. They had a complete circuit board kit for the Sharp. Came with mainboard, power supply board, wireless network board, and video driver board. $57 for the kit. Ordered it. Inside the TV was pretty simple. Just the four boards neatly mounted and cabled together with a few simple/can't-make-a-mistake connectors. Took me less than 30 minutes to replace the two bad components (mainboard and wireless). TV up and running again; had to go through the software update and Roku setup, but that was only a few more minutes.

Just wanted to give a heads up that these TVs are very repairable for little money, and don't require significant mechanical or electronics skills.

The best thing the internet has given us is about half of youtube. Repaired dishwashers, stoves, dryers, toilers and just about everything in between being a homeowner. 8 minutes on YouTube has taught me to do that and a thousand less necessary things.

This was so simple, Youtube wasn't even needed.

Otherwise, I agree: I've repaired a lot of stuff based on Youtube learning. It's a remarkable platform for gaining skills.

Thanks for posting. Movers damaged our tv (didn't know until like a month later) and the sound doesn't work right. If you push on the back of the tv in the right spot it will work for a while, then the sound cuts off again. :(

Haven't taken the back off yet to see if anything is obviously broken/loose.

Holiday season before last, I bought a 55" Sharp flat screen TV from Best Buy. Nice TV, basically a Hisense with Roku, branded as a Sharp, exclusive to Best Buy.

It died a premature death at the hands of a lightning strike. Figured it would just be part of the insurance claim. Did some searching on the model number, and came upon a site called shopjimmy.com, who sell flat screen tv repair components. They had a complete circuit board kit for the Sharp. Came with mainboard, power supply board, wireless network board, and video driver board. $57 for the kit. Ordered it. Inside the TV was pretty simple. Just the four boards neatly mounted and cabled together with a few simple/can't-make-a-mistake connectors. Took me less than 30 minutes to replace the two bad components (mainboard and wireless). TV up and running again; had to go through the software update and Roku setup, but that was only a few more minutes.

Just wanted to give a heads up that these TVs are very repairable for little money, and don't require significant mechanical or electronics skills.
Good job Sir. I need to save that link as well.

Back
Top Bottom