• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Replace a transmission on 8 year old Yukon for $5800?

I had something with my AC fixed for free a few years ago because of a recall. I do not recall exactly what, but it would’ve been expensive according to the dealership service guy.

I got my yukon back and so far so good with the rebuilt transmission. Hopefully it lasts a few years.

I hope it works out good for you, I hardly ever give recommendations, but Randy seemed like a good fella, so I passed along the info 👍🏻

I had something with my AC fixed for free a few years ago because of a recall. I do not recall exactly what, but it would’ve been expensive according to the dealership service guy.

I got my yukon back and so far so good with the rebuilt transmission. Hopefully it lasts a few years.
I’m sure it was the condenser. Congratulations you have already repaired the only two things that really happen to those trucks. All you have left to do is enjoy

I actually came here to mention that Im surprised you have a 2015 that has not needed an A/C condenser. They normally go out between 65-80k miles.

We have found that if we catch the transmissions when they first start shuttering we have had good luck with a BG transmission flush and a bottle of Ford XL3 friction modifier.
I’ve never had good luck with BG products. It’s all snake oil in my opinion. I still sold it though lol. Also they did have a good warranty.

My transmission went out on my 2015 GMC Yukon with 120k miles. it’s the first problem I’ve had with the vehicle since buying it in 2015. I maintain it on schedule and am a bit shocked it went out this soon with not much towing. Dealer says $5800 to replace it, which is a little more than quotes I got from another mechanic I trust and AAMCO (which has lots of bad reviews based on my internet research).

Just wondering if you have thoughts on whether this is worth spending on a vehicle of this age with 120k miles compared to just trading in as is and buying a new one.
With the new LS engine platform these vehicles are capable of 300,000 miles or more. If the vehicle is in excellent condition and is a great driver right now it might be a little counterproductive to buy another one with the prices of that they're going for right now. Call Powertrain Products inc. and check on the price of one of their rebuilt Transmissions. They have a 5 year 1 million mile warranty on their transmission then you can get somebody to install it. Still beats the heck on the trying to replace a vehicle in this kind of Market. Just get a quote from them it wouldn't hurt

My transmission went out on my 2015 GMC Yukon with 120k miles. it’s the first problem I’ve had with the vehicle since buying it in 2015. I maintain it on schedule and am a bit shocked it went out this soon with not much towing. Dealer says $5800 to replace it, which is a little more than quotes I got from another mechanic I trust and AAMCO (which has lots of bad reviews based on my internet research).

Just wondering if you have thoughts on whether this is worth spending on a vehicle of this age with 120k miles compared to just trading in as is and buying a new one.

Go to Shift Works in Fayetteville.

Honest shop with great reputation.(Of course it is worth replacing. A new Yukon would have to be 75k)

Back
Top Bottom