• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Replacement cabinet hinges are the devil!

Cadcom

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
504   0
Reaction score
So my girlfriend just had new granite counter tops installed. She is replacing the old cabinet hinges and handles. Handles went in fine but the doors will not close now that the new hinges are installed. They pop back open by about 1/4". The new hinges say they have a 3/8" offset. I don't know a damn thing about this but it's starting to make me look bad in front of my chick! Anyone have any ideas? Are there other offsets available? (The new one is the silver one in the pic - you can see it doesn't fit well)

Attachments

• IMG_5669.jpg
    IMG_5669.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 86
The space you see between the edge of the door and the hinge is the issue. The door is hinge binding because of it.

Options

A) find a hinge that fits exactly like the old one
B) notch the face frame where the hinge is contacting it
C) drill new holes closer to the edge of the face frame which will move the door over a little and let the hinge clear. Then you will have to rabbit out the other side of the door where it will now be hitting the face frame on the other side.
D) burn it down.

The space you see between the edge of the door and the hinge is the issue. The door is hinge binding because of it.

Options

A) find a hinge that fits exactly like the old one
B) notch the face frame where the hinge is contacting it
C) drill new holes closer to the edge of the face frame which will move the door over a little and let the hinge clear. Then you will have to rabbit out the other side of the door where it will now be hitting the face frame on the other side.
D) burn it down.
What he said^^^

There is a huge cabinetry supplier in Conyers. A neighbor was having similar problems and he took a door with him when he went to get some hinges, Those folks knew right off what he needed. Sold 300 hinges to my neighbor that day.

I do not know the company name, but they are THE supplier to the trade in Ga.

Back
Top Bottom