• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Replacement Rifle Stock Suggestions

jp54

Default rank <300 posts Supporter
Tracker
26   0
Reaction score
I have two Rugers that I want to replace the stock on. The first is a M77 MKII long action that I got in a trade. It has the standard Hogue pillar stock, which I do actually like the ergonomics of, but it flexes way too much, touching the barrel easily. Not much is available for the M77 MKII. I have found the HS Precision Pro Sporter (about $400), full aluminum chassis. I also am not totally ruling out Hogue, because there's also the fully aluminum bedded Hogue stock (about $250), which should be more firm than the pillar bedded. There are some wood stocks also but this will be an all weather hunting stock, so not a good idea. And there's also a McMillan but it's over $600 and I'm not willing to spend that much on this rifle.

The other Ruger is an American short action with the factory stock. It's also really flexible and contacts the barrel easily. There is the Magpul hunter (about $300), which has the built in chassis. But I'm not sure how a feel about the "tactical" look or how my standard barrel will look in the stock. There's also a Bell and Carlson offered in a sporter ($300) and a target model ($430). They're both fully aluminum bedded and I think the only difference is the target has adjustable cheek piece and different grip. Also ruling out wood on this hunting rifle. It may seem unintuitive to spend as much on the stock as this rifle is worth, but it was a gift and holds some sentimental value.

Any suggestions are appreciated, especially if you have first hand experience with any of these or can advise another. Also I do not have any concerns with weight of the stock at all (I know some people want it as light as possible), these are not rifles I'll be carrying for miles on a hunt.

Back
Top Bottom