• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Replacing a Recoil Spring

Love odt for threads like this. OP asks question. OP didn't get the answer he wanted. OP gets defensive.

OP could just get a 9mm, get nearly 50% the effectiveness without running into danger. But, nah. Gotta fudd it up.
This is what dudes do— we argue over stuff we think we are right on. I’m just here waiting for blown hand pics!

I was hoping that a person who is much more knowledgeable than I, about this subject, would enlighten me one way or the other by the use of reason, evidence, and facts and make a compelling argument for their perspective.

Some seem to be upset that I haven't been convinced by their argument.

Wolff makes a set of recoil springs for the LCP. The purpose is so a person can tune the gun for their preferred ammo.
This includes tuning primarily for reliability.

Does anyone have an issue with using Wolff recoil springs for that purpose?

If your answer is No, then we can discuss the use of Underwood 65 grain +P ammo.

The +P increases pressure by 10%. Not times 10. This increase puts the pressure up to a 25 acp cartridge which has a standard bullet weight of 50 grains.

I have a hard time believing a modern day Ruger 380 couldn't handle the pressures of a 25 auto.

Where have I made a mistake?

I certainly don't want to destroy the gun or injur myself.

On the other hand, when I am forced to carry a mouse gun or go unarmed, I want the most effective round for the mouse gun.

I was hoping that a person who is much more knowledgeable than I, about this subject, would enlighten me one way or the other by the use of reason, evidence, and facts and make a compelling argument for their perspective.

Wolff makes a set of recoil springs for the LCP. The purpose is so a person can tune the gun for their preferred ammo.

If your answer is No, then we can discuss the use of Underwood 65 grain +P ammo.

The +P increases pressure by 10%. Not times 10. This increase puts the pressure up to a 25 acp cartridge which has a standard bullet weight of 50 grains.

I have a hard time believing a modern day Ruger 380 couldn't handle the pressures of a 25 auto.

On the other hand, when I am forced to carry a mouse gun or go unarmed, I want the most effective round for the mouse gun.
I never used the ammo you are talking about in a 380. I did buy the “ kit “ that included all springs from wolf. I never even noticed the recoil difference. I went thru 500 rounds of random ammo, thru the lcp, if ya want more UMMMFFF, you need a bigger pistol.

If the requirements are that the gun must be a Micro 380 and must be able to safely shoot +P ammo, then why not trade it towards a 380 that is rated by the manufacturer for +P ammo?

From the SIG Sauer website:
"+P Ammo manufactured to SAAMI/CIP/NATO specs is fine to use as a defensive round or for occasional range use. Continual use of this round will make it necessary for more frequent service on the pistol. We do NOT recommend the use of any +P+ round. This may void your warranty."

Volume and pressure are 2 different things. You are talking about running 25 acp pressures with 10x the total gas volume. That can break things the same way pressure can.

Also there is no sammi 380 +p spec. That means ammo makers can just wing it. It also means the only pressure threshold ruger has to meet is the standard 380 pressures. Springs aside, the company that makes the gun says don't do it. So if you want to do it, you're on your own.

Sounds like you know just enough to be dangerous. My best advice, if you can read, follow the instructions that come with the pistol. If you feel the need to experiment, you are likely a greater danger to yourself than what you are essentially preparing for.

Ruger says not to. I would believe that constitutes as more knowledgeable than you.

But you do you. You clearly had your mind made up way before posting

Remember the old man joke where his wife calls him because she heard on the news that some Jack wagon was driving the wrong way down the interstate? She calls her husband to warn him and he stated that it wasn't just one, but all of the drivers were driving the wrong direction?

Guess who you are....

If the less expensive guns can be made to safely use the +P ammo with what would cost the manufacturer pennies to upgrade the spring then why don't they already have it in the gun from the factory? Being able to advertise their gun as +P compatible would be great for sales and marketing. The obvious answer is there is more to it than just the spring.

Back
Top Bottom