• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Replacing Military Medals and Ribbons

Thanks for the info. I was told that my unit recieved a unit citation during the time I was attached but I had transferred before the official issuing ceremony and it never caught up with me. I’ll send in a request and see if I was authorized it a d if so request one.
Do it! I always knew I was authorized a Meritorious Unit Citation for service in Desert Storm......But when I got the letter from the National Archives it said I was authorized a Joint Meritorious Unit Citation. That was something I had no clue about, was not listed on my DD 214, a real head scratchier. So I did some research, made several inquiries and found I was awarded it for service in El Salvador in 1987. If I had never done this I would have never know.

thats pretty cool. my humble Georgia National Guard service wouldnt require any of that tho. i think i gots like 3 "Good Job" medals around here somewhere's. other than that not much else
I'll tell you what......That is something to be proud of!!!!!! Campaign and Service medals come down to timing and luck and nothing else. Just because you had neither means absolutely NOTHING! If you would have been ordered to go, you would have went, no questions asked! The willingness is what's honorable my friend......and you always had that! I am proud of your service, truly.

I'll tell you what......That is something to be proud of!!!!!! Campaign and Service medals come down to timing and luck and nothing else. Just because you had neither means absolutely NOTHING! If you would have been ordered to go, you would have went, no questions asked! The willingness is what's honorable my friend......and you always had that! I am proud of your service, truly.
Amen.

One thing I forgot to add in the OP.......If you were awarded a Medal from a foreign country it will not be included in the replacement packet. Only Medals/Unit Citations/Ribbons awarded by the US Government count toward replacement. NATO Medals.....because I know Korean Vets and the GWOT vets have been/are awarded NATO Medals.....I have no clue. Not sure if they are considered "Foreign". I know for a fact the Kuwait Liberation Medal(s) awarded by Saudi Arabia and Kuwait are not replaced. But I don't really care, that Saudi one was UGLY anyway, lol.

i will say that even in national guard the good ol boy system is in effect. i saw guys receive medals and awards that i knew for a fact they didn't deserve. some of the laziest guys in my unit would get awards for good leadership during a training exercise or whatever. it didnt bother me because they got them and not me. it bothered me because in the guard medals and awards gave you promotion points. which led to higher ups making sure their buddies got promoted quicker. but that's old stuff

i will say that even in national guard the good ol boy system is in effect. i saw guys receive medals and awards that i knew for a fact they didn't deserve. some of the laziest guys in my unit would get awards for good leadership during a training exercise or whatever. it didnt bother me because they got them and not me. it bothered me because in the guard medals and awards gave you promotion points. which led to higher ups making sure their buddies got promoted quicker. but that's old stuff
Hmmmm...........The Medal Mafia runs deep I see......:spy:.....:puke:

I, too, wrote the NMRC for my records about 10 years ago. Apparently there was a fire at the facility in the late 70s/early 80s and some records were lost. I guess only have my SRB was destroyed as they sent a Certificate of Military Service (CMS) instead of a DD-214. The CMS they sent me showed my correct dates of service, but had my rank as Staff Sergeant. Now, I know the 70s were good to me, but I only remember making Corporal. Thinking NMRC might be a paper mill (like so many mail order colleges were), I called them and asked if they were a Government entity, which they said they were, which dashed my hopes of being a Lt. General! :)

Back
Top Bottom