• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Replacing Wire Stock on vz2008

Hayata

Wolf Icon
Knock it off with them negative waves Moriarity!
177   0
Reaction score
So I've had this vz2008 for years and only took it to the range for the second time a few weeks ago at alleycat alleycat 's get together.

@bulletpaluza 's heat shield worked great and the only other mod was the addition of an AK-74 style muzzle brake.

But the recoil impulse was pretty sharp and combined with the wire folding stock I thought I should make the change to a solid stock.

Found a guy in the Czech Republic on ebay who sells the kits for like $35 so it was a no-brainer, right?

The stock came sooner than I expected so went to work replacing the stock. The task is pretty straightforward - remove the one screw holding the wire stock to the receiver, remove the wire stock, mount the new stock, screw in the new stock with the bolt supplied in the kit.

Started yesterday and the stock screw would not budge. I'm guessing Century used locktite during assembly. Let it soak in Deep Creep overnight. Had to get impact driver to it this morning.

Chucked the rifle in a workmate facing down with a block of wood supporting the muzzle. Whaled on that thang for fifteen minutes. Finally broke the screw loose but had to continue to use the impact driver for about 3 complete turns (I was beginning to think the screw had been cross-threaded at the factory). Finally got to where I could turn it by hand.

The solid stock went on fine but another tool you will need besides the impact driver is a REALLY BIG slotted screw driver! The mounting screws are pretty big so you need a big screw driver to install the new mounting bolt.

Can't wait to get her to the range to try out the new stock!

I had the exact same experience doing the same modification! But the difference with the fixed stock is like night and day.

DSC_1598.JPG

I went to Harbor Freight to get a bigger screw driver today...I wanted the new stock just a smidge tighter...

I went to Harbor Freight to get a bigger screw driver today...I wanted the new stock just a smidge tighter...

I have a BIG screwdriver from when I changed stocks. It comes in handy now but that was the reason for buying.

I have bought a bunch of mags over the years too, mags are light as well.

Back
Top Bottom