• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Repowering!

Well, I've been thinking about it for a while now and pulled the trigger today. I've got a new Suzuki 150hp four stroke on order. It comes with all the goodies and I'm also converting from cable steering to hydraulic. Should be ready is a couple of weeks at most. :rockon:
What did you do with the old outboard?

Small change. It turns out that Suzuki is way behind and keeps sending them "delay of shipment" notices. The main guy called today and said he can't be sure of getting one in less than six months. However, they have a new 140hp in the showroom and will sell it to me for $2000 less. Max rating for my boat is 150 and it's replacing a 115 two stroke. Pretty sure the 140 is going to do everything I want it to.

Bear you will really injoy the 4 stroke,I have a couple friends that have them. just make sure you do the yearly maintenance.

Bear you will really injoy the 4 stroke,I have a couple friends that have them. just make sure you do the yearly maintenance.
Yep. I'm looking forward to the quiet. Also, one of the final deciding factors was reading about how the modern 4 strokes are so reliable that it's safe to go off shore with a single motor. That was unheard of when I was growing up and still not considered a good idea even 20 years ago.

I won't be going off shore, but I could be making some very long runs near shore and I don't want to be constantly worried about whether I can get back to the dock. Or whether I have enough readily available power to deal with bad conditions if I get caught in them.

Yep. I'm looking forward to the quiet. Also, one of the final deciding factors was reading about how the modern 4 strokes are so reliable that it's safe to go off shore with a single motor. That was unheard of when I was growing up and still not considered a good idea even 20 years ago.

I won't be going off shore, but I could be making some very long runs near shore and I don't want to be constantly worried about whether I can get back to the dock. Or whether I have enough readily available power to deal with bad conditions if I get caught in them.
4 Stroke is a gift to boaters...No more injection for oil in fuel, no more mixing of fuel and oil..More reliable, I would use a fuel Tender and fill it with Ethanol free fuel and Stay-Bil...Also I would when done, Turn the fuel feed off and let it run out of fuel..Going out into the gulf, I would always have a kicker motor..Just in case...Lord knows I miss the Gulf...Good luck and tight lines!

Back
Top Bottom