• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Required Classes

I was at the Indoor range on Thursday and the place was full. I usually go in the mornings and a few people are there. Well I waited a bit and finally got a lane. Next to me was a guy with his daughter and his wife was on another lane with their other daughter. He was running back and forth between lanes trying to teach I guess. However He couldn't get the one pistol to work right. Glock in .380. I asked him if he was limp wristing it. He looked surprised and said no, He was a military retiree and so was his wife. He said I'm a cop also. I told him I see cops in here all the time that can't shoot very well.
His daughter was holding the pistol with thumbs x'd and the target was maybe six feet away and it looked like they were shooting buckshot. I noticed when he shot the pistol was tilted to the left and he was jerking the trigger. I didn't try to help because he looked like the type that wouldn't take it.
I watched a couple of others in there and you could tell they had no clue how to handle a weapon.
There needs to be something in place to teach gun handling and safety. It is scary.

Interesting that we pay for a carry permit. You have a right to a lawyer yet, you have to pay for that. You have a right to drive on roads paid by taxes but, you need to pay for a license. Im getting off the subject....

Ive seen plenty of people at the gun counter that have no clue how to operate a firearm. Half come up with no idea what they want and let the guy across the counter talk them into what they like. I would rather that person have some form of familiarization if they plan on carrying that in a mall. We have driving tests since a car is a lethal weapon in the wrong hands. Why not school people on how to protect themselves and others?
These are the classic anti 2a talking point but they are very flawed and easily debunked. You do not have a "right" to operate a vehicle on public roads. Where do people get that idea? I don't know why people constantly recite this as a justification for requiring a license to carry a firearm... As for your other point - you do have a right to an attorney but you do not HAVE to pay for one. If you want a better one you are free to pay as much as you like.

I worked as a Range Officer at some of the GSSF matches. It is scary sometimes when you find out how little people that are toting guns know about gun safety. In the match in Griffin in September I had to actually grab the gun out of a guys hand while he was unloading to show clear. He kept breaking 90 degrees and pointing the gun at the people in the bay to our left. I reminded him twice to keep the muzzle pointed down range. The third time I had to take control and told him that if happened again he would be ejected from the match.
Afterwards I overheard that he was a retired Cobb County police officer. You would think that someone like this would be the last person to break safety protocol.

I think anyone who wants to get a carry permit should have some kind of safety training. Common sense doesn't come packaged in the box with the purchase of a gun of getting a permit. Back when the 2nd amendment was written, it was just part of the day to day processes to know how to use a firearm. You were taught from a very your age to handle and respect a firearm. Today not so in most cases. I see way too many people carrying that have no idea on how or when to use the weapon that they are toting around.

The REQUIREMENT is only if you want to carry your weapon concealed...
Matters not to me, open carry, concealed.
The 2nd Amendment doesn't distinguish either.
A law abiding adult's carry right should be governed by the 2nd amendment only IMO.
The OP fully concedes "The Texas Concealed Handgun License Proficiency Test is not a difficult shooting test to pass".
So what is it really accomplishing?
I think is bad enough already that GA requires a fee to exercise that right.
Adding some training requirement that will only fill the pockets of "instructors" and the state with more money.....not good.

As always, YMMV.

Matters not to me, open carry, concealed.
The 2nd Amendment doesn't distinguish either.
A law abiding adult's carry right should be governed by the 2nd amendment only IMO.
The OP fully concedes "The Texas Concealed Handgun License Proficiency Test is not a difficult shooting test to pass".
So what is it really accomplishing?
I think is bad enough already that GA requires a fee to exercise that right.
Adding some training requirement that will only fill the pockets of "instructors" and the state with more money.....not good.

As always, YMMV.
You, my friend, are singing to the choir! I couldn't agree with you more. I didn't get my CWP until 2011, I have been carrying a weapon since 1989/90...if you don't include the 30-30 that I carried behind the seat of my truck when I started driving..LOL

Back
Top Bottom