• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Restoration of rights?

GDAWG1958

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
27   0
Reaction score
I have a freind of 25 years, A father of 5 great kids,homeowner,business owner ,Loyal church member. Just an all around great guy and straight arrow. He approached me this weekend and told me a story from his past,You could have knocked me over with a feather, No Way, Not this guy??he said that in the 70's as a 18 yr old he got messed up with the wrong crowd ,drugs etc. long story short,he commited a felony with a firearm and did 6 years in the pen, completed his parole and has never had an issue since, 33 years I think.
He is wanting a gun for hunting and for protection, is afraid to even try it or apply,
Any of you guys know if there are steps he could take? is it possible?

I would contact an attorney knowledgeable in such matters. Most will offer an initial consultation at no cost to determine the feasibility of taking on a case. Have him contact a few to get an idea if it is even doable. Best of luck to him.

Having committed a forcible felony WITH A FIREARM...it is highly doubtful that anything short of a Presidential Pardon would apply and if he or someone that would act on his behalf hasn't been a member of the 100,000.00 campaign contribution club for several years, that's probably next to impossible.
If he has any close affiliation connections with a US Congressman or Senator of the party in power, he might have an inquiry made thru an intermediary as to whether there could be a possibility..
I don't want to sink the boat as I always believe there is no harm in asking..all they can say is no and with that you aren't any worse off than you are now.

If he wants to talke about it have him contact my office. One of our partners specializes in this area and probably could answer his questions fairly quickly. He would need to ask for Jack Lancaster. The office is Geiger, Cochran & Lancaster, LLP, and our telephone number is (770) 720-4600.

It is a drawn out process including several letters of reference. My brother did it, although no firearm was invloved in his case. Took 2 years I think to have rights restored, he said it took so long because of backlog of cases and short staffed at the time.

If he wants to talke about it have him contact my office. One of our partners specializes in this area and probably could answer his questions fairly quickly. He would need to ask for Jack Lancaster. The office is Geiger, Cochran & Lancaster, LLP, and our telephone number is (770) 720-4600.

^^^^^^THIS^^^^^

a guy i worked with went thru this. commited armed robbery when he was 19. in his late forties went thru a lengthy process to get his rights back. in the end he only got his right to vote. judge told him under no circumstance would he ever be allowed to own a gun again. your frinds case might be different depending on details. in my friends case he actually shot someone(wounded).

I have never really thought much about this subject, but now that i'm lookin at it from my buddies side of the fence, this law is just wrong. Its unjust and maybe unconstitutional??
Yes he really f'd up, yes someone could have gotten hurt or killed, but to punish a man for life over 1 mistake after he served 6 years straight and did his parole, never was before and never since been in trouble or broken the law? its just not right to say to this man, Because you made 1 mistake 30+ years ago ,You dont have the right to protect yourself or your family, you dont have the right to hunt for food, what about his family? they cant own a firearm either while in his house??
This isnt right IMHO, Im not excusing his mistake/crime but he paid his price to society with 6 + years of his life.
Now I know every criminal isnt like Him, But if one moment of bad decision making from a teen ager stands so unchangeable, shouldnt 30+ years of an unblemished respectable life as an upstanding citizen stand for something?
Im interested in hearing other opinions on this

Back
Top Bottom