• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Restoration of rights?

my understanding is if you apply for a "restoration of rights" that does not cover the gun issue.

if he applies for a "pardon" that does take care of the gun issue.

I would personally apply for both. Although I think he is in for a lengthy battle (and potentially expensive), enough drive and determination will accomplish a lot.

Just my opinion but if more folks realized that a single stupid decision can have a lifetime of consequence - folks might make better decisions. I was a young'un in the 70's myself and armed robbery never seemed to be a viable occupation to me. I'm happy to hear your friend is a great citizen now but I have no sympathy for his plight...

Just my opinion but if more folks realized that a single stupid decision can have a lifetime of consequence - folks might make better decisions. I was a young'un in the 70's myself and armed robbery never seemed to be a viable occupation to me. I'm happy to hear your friend is a great citizen now but I have no sympathy for his plight...

No story is just black and white

He would really have to get a pardon. That is the only way and that it self will not do it alone from my under standing . I have a family member that did the same thing and now the prison time is 10 years min .

If he did manage to get a pardon form the Governor that still doesn't keep ATF, FBI etc from charging him under FED. statutes .
I'm not trying to pop the bubble but it is going to be virtually impossible BECAUSE he USED a FIREARM in the commission of the felony.
Good Luck, if it does work out, let me know (I'm not trying to be funny) the attorney's name..If I ever get in trouble , that is the one I want to hire.

No story is just black and white

True enough.

Should the law be changed so ALL convicted felons have their rights restored automatically? Would this further weaken our pathetic justice system even more as there would be no long term consequences for the crimes committed? Slippery slope indeed...

I hear ya, But can you all say honestly that you havent made a dumb move as a teen ager? Have you broken the law but just didnt get caught? Did his 6+years of prison (his sentance for the crime) not pay for that ? To make someone pay with their rights as a citizen for the rest of their lives, plus the position it puts his family in (who were not even around at the time) ? double punishment ?

My dumb moves as a teenager were an illegal left turn and an expired inspection sticker (not both at the same time). Other dumb things include the occasional baseball-through-a-window and some regrettable things uttered. Felonies? No.

He was lucky he only did six years. Here are the current possible prizes the state of Georgia gives for armed robbery:

1) Death penalty.
2) Life in prison.
3) No less than 10 nor more than 20 years in prison. The minimum prison time is 10 years with no early release.

I also disagree with the idea that life was different then. We have a much higher percentage of our population in prison today than we did 35 years ago. Much higher percentage of people abusing drugs. Guns and drugs are both easier to get illegally. An armed robber is more likely to get into a gunfight with a legally armed, legally protected victim these days.

It's great that he's stayed clean for so many years. Let him be an example for others about how to rehabilitate, as well as suffering the enduring consequences of such a heinously bad decision.

Hey, All good arguments, from one side to the other.
Should the law be changed so ALL convicted felons have their rights restored automatically?
Absolutely not, But if one never regains citizen status no matter what, Well maybe every felony should just be an automatic death penalty?
I just think that after being kind of forced to look at this situation, there must be some kind of merit, some understanding of 30 to 40 years of good citizenship? Thats just my opinion.
This is a great conversation/debate, Im glad we are having it.

i love all these holier than thou posts. He deserved it... do the crime do the time... blah blah blah.

The fact that he is trying to go about obtaining a gun LEGALLY speaks volumes in and of itself. Seriously it would much easier to simply sign up on ODT and BUY ONE FTF. Unless he intends to commit a crime with it, odds are, he will never get caught. I applaud this guy for trying to go the correct route.

hell I bet some of you frequent sellers/traders have sold to felon without knowing it.

If people do not have a means to restore their rights... then they will use FTF as a means to obtain a firearm. Once we get enough crime by FTF obtained guns, guess what happens to FTF in Georgia? say goodbye folks.

Back
Top Bottom