• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Restoration of rights?

Not my argument...I know better than to say things like that and even "risk" getting mine in a sling.
If you're so sure it'll fly why don't you call ATF and run it by them.
And no, I don't work for the media and as far as spinning words..just what is it you think lawyers do in the courthouse to win their case.
But you are too smart and too macho for me and I'm not keep this going back and forth all day, it isn't worth it to me.

Last edited:
Not my argument...I know better than to say things like that and even "risk" getting mine in a sling.
And no, I don't work for the media and as far as spinning words..just what is it you think lawyers do in the courthouse to win their case.
But you are too smart and too macho for me and I'm not keep this going back and forth all day, it isn't worth it to me.

haha. i know better than to eat spicy food before getting on a plane for 8 hours... but taking a few "risks" keeps you frosty my friend. Thanks for the smart and macho compliment... which reminds me, Off to the gym!

GDAWG1958... please relay my best luck to your friend in his journey to clear up his record.

haha. i know better than to eat spicy food before getting on a plane for 8 hours... but taking a few "risks" keeps you frosty my friend. Thanks for the smart and macho compliment... which reminds me, Off to the gym!

GDAWG1958... please relay my best luck to your friend in his journey to clear up his record.

By the way, I added a line but it apparently didn't make it before your response, in all fairness I wanted you to know about it in case you wanted bark at me
but I am done with it.

Hey, All good arguments, from one side to the other.
Should the law be changed so ALL convicted felons have their rights restored automatically?
Absolutely not, But if one never regains citizen status no matter what, Well maybe every felony should just be an automatic death penalty?
I just think that after being kind of forced to look at this situation, there must be some kind of merit, some understanding of 30 to 40 years of good citizenship? Thats just my opinion.
This is a great conversation/debate, Im glad we are having it.

You do regain citizen status, you can come and go at will, you can pick and choose where you live, you can work and pay taxes, you can vote..You just can't have a gun....armed robbery with a gun is way way too serious for most people to even consider..if had been a "NON VIOLENT" felony it wouldn't be as bad and a number of people would probably be more open minded. Believe it or not even as a retired LEO, I could see considering a NON violent issue under some circumstances ..drug cases, thefts etc with no previous indicators of unprovoked violence in the background, but the people that make the decisions are very much and rightly so concerned that it could happen again, maybe with worse outcomes and they would be responsible..if not legally then in their own conscience.
I have a friend attorney that's been a trail lawyer about 30 yrs, a well respected man by judges, his peers, the entire community, members of congress..you get the idea and he told me a few years back, that he had only been able to get 1 in his entire career and it was the hardest to accomplish thing he ever did.
I saw someone else say "you know him outside" the crime and you sympathize with him and want to help..that's what friends do and you are apparently a good one and a good man for being so.
But, he took the BIG step , the only thing higher is rape or murder.
The law says you are an adult at 18 , in Ga. 17 for Criminal Prosecution..and it is each adult's responsibility to know the consequences of their actions.
But understand I don't blame you at all for trying, I'll say it again, you are what a good friend is.

higher percentage of all that due higher population. Obviously when you have more people... you have more potential crime.

Hence, the use of the word percentage. The term accounts for the higher population. The rate of incarceration is higher now than back in the 1970s.

Let's put it this way: Back in the mid-1970s, 100 out of every 100,000 Americans were in prison. Today, the rate is approximate 500 out of every 100,000.

Yes life was different back then as well. You get caught DUI... there was a chance the local deputy drives you home or lets someone come pick you up... now its an automatic arrest and license suspension. Of course armed robbery was always serious... but laws have evolved substantially over the past 35 years. Now a days I can ACTUALLY knock someone's @55 out for a simple battery misdemeanor or THREATEN to knock someone's @55 out for a terroristic threat felony.

sorry about the slight off topic speil... but if you do not think times/laws/life/etc have changed from the 70's... enjoy the rock you have been hiding under.

The OP's inference was that armed robbery as a result of getting mixed up in drugs and the wrong crowd as a teen was likely more common "back in the day," and that things are different today. I suppose he's right that they are different, but he's got the statistical direction backwards: It's much worse today.

i love all these holier than thou posts. He deserved it... do the crime do the time... blah blah blah.

What's your point? That the guy deserves a ticker tape parade for being a reformed armed robber?

The fact that he is trying to go about obtaining a gun LEGALLY speaks volumes in and of itself. Seriously it would much easier to simply sign up on ODT and BUY ONE FTF. Unless he intends to commit a crime with it, odds are, he will never get caught. I applaud this guy for trying to go the correct route.

I guess hard prison time works for some folks.

hell I bet some of you frequent sellers/traders have sold to felon without knowing it.

And by definition, that is not a crime. Knowingly selling to a felon is a crime. I doubt many here would even consider an adventure down that road.

If people do not have a means to restore their rights... then they will use FTF as a means to obtain a firearm. Once we get enough crime by FTF obtained guns, guess what happens to FTF in Georgia? say goodbye folks.

There is a means to restore rights. It's a very difficult long shot for somebody who committed a serious felony with a firearm. As it should be.

Great response's, I do understand the oposition , obviously its a serious offense. hey sometimes you just have to pay the piper. He,s a good man,a good father and a good freind, and definately regrets his offenses, I Stand by him, and have his back as I know he would mine.

What's your point? That the guy deserves a ticker tape parade for being a reformed armed robber?

I guess hard prison time works for some folks.

And by definition, that is not a crime. Knowingly selling to a felon is a crime. I doubt many here would even consider an adventure down that road.

There is a means to restore rights. It's a very difficult long shot for somebody who committed a serious felony with a firearm. As it should be.

1st... parade? no... thats a little over the top dont you think super moderator?

2nd... yes! a founding principle of the justice system is REHABILITATION. If someone is in fact rehabilitated, then why should they not be allowed the privileges/rights of everyone else? If they are not rehabilitated and still a threat to society why are they let out?

3rd... problem is... even though the government is supposed to have to PROVE you knew and are therefore guilty... we all know in reality that it is actually guilty until proven innocent.

4th... agreed... never said they should just waltz out of prison and buy an RPG the very next day. All I said is that the option should be there. Anybody that does not feel this way does not believe that we havea RIGHT to bear arms.. but rather a privilege. a right cannot be taken away.. period

well. in any case i agree with the law here. you commit a violent crime with a gun, you don't get guns back. you molest children, you don't ge to be around children.

well. in any case i agree with the law here. you commit a violent crime with a gun, you don't get guns back. you molest children, you don't get to be around children.

Good point made here. But i do believe that a man should be able to go through classes (such like a dui person must go through a driving course) and be evaluated by mental doctors, Have committed ANY crime/misdemeanor (omit minor driving infractions), and then go before a jury of peers to determine if he is in fact ready to be able to own a firearm. But also should be limited to what firearms he cannot buy; ie: pistol and shotgun (under 24in barrel). He wants to hunt so allow him to buy a smoke pole (2 year hold), then after the 2 years are complete and if no offenses have been committed (omit minor driving infractions) He can then buy a rifle or shotgun, but must be placed on a one year hold before buying another and can only buy one at a time.

Back
Top Bottom