• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Restoration of rights?

w jes funnin dawg. i doubt my crippled butt is gonna do much harm. lol.

Me and the bear ain't even pickin at each other, the joke is about something else altogether, and like him I'm a pretty old, somewhat feeble, hound myself.

Last edited:
Deal with this about everyday. Tell him to go to his local probation(Dept. of Corrections...not the misdemeanor private stuff) or Parole Office and ask for a restoration of rights form. Complete it and mail it in. Simple as that. Got many that have had their rights restored.

Well, I am going to try to type this while he tells me the story.

I grew up a preachers kid, never in any trouble, never drank or even seen a drug,when I was 17, I met a woman, she was 12 years older than me, she looked like Barbara Mandrell. She was beautiful and for some reason was interested in me?
I became infatuated with her, lost my V to her. My Dad tried everything to get me away from her, he finally threatened to throw me out if I didn't leave her alone, He said " son, Ive seen women like her all my life, shes either gonna get you killed or put in prison" , I rebelled against him, raised my hand against him and then left.

Well, I guess he was right,
I moved in with her, one of her girlfriends and 3 ruff Biker dudes, I mean ruff. I quit school, started going to local bars with them, had my first beer, my first joint in the first three days I was gone, Turns out they were all selling drugs, I was so dumb I didn't even know it for a few weeks, didn't know for about a month that she was sleeping with all 3 of those guys either, but by then I was to far gone I started doing more drugs to deal with the hurt of it all, My pride wouldn't let me go home, I was just a kid and couldn't do anything about any of it, the bottom line was , I loved her and couldn't get out..
Turns out, she was pretty ruff her self, at times a prostitute, at times a drug dealer, at times a thief.

Within two years of leaving my dads , I had became hooked on pot,cocaine, and queludes, We drank pretty much everyday , party and bar hopped all the time. Those bikers belonged to a real mean biker club (that I wont name,but you would know the name) they called me kid,I saw some things when I was with those guys I could never tell anyone, I sank deeper and deeper into this lifestyle.

One night, I walked in on her and a good Friend of mine , well you know.
I lost it, There was a real bad fist fight, I cracked his head open with a beer mug and ran out of the house, I went to the bar we always hung out at, (I wasn't old enough to get in any where else).I ran into this guy I knew, he all ways had hot stuff for sale, he wanted to sell a pistol he had just stole out of some guys car, I gave him $40 for it and then bought some LSD from him and got waisted. I decided after a while I would buy her something to make up ?? Right, Me make up with her??

I was so emotionally ripped apart and then messed up too, I just wanted to scream, tear up something, end it.I don't even know I was at the counter to pay, the next thing I know,I have the gun out, I take this stupid mood ring and about 80 bucks and get out of there, well there was a guy and girl in the store that knew who I was, next day they arrest me and off to jail I go.

Believe it or not, I know that that was the best thing that could have happened to me, during that 2 years with her, I had gotten hooked on drugs, stolen things, beat people up badly,been shot in the leg, been stabbed in the arm, had had my heart ripped out by the women I loved more times than I want to remember . I couldn't leave, I didn't know how to get out of it? I'm not making excuses or trying to place blame on anyone, I did everything,no one made me do it, They were all my mistakes,It is only by the grace of God that I'm not dead.

During the year I sat in jail waiting to go to court, an opportunity popped up and again,impulsively, I took it. I escaped, was on the run for 1 month, I wont go any further than that other than to say I was STUPID!, They caught me, brought me back, they ended up offering me a plea bargain that if I plead guilty to the robbery, they would drop the other things. I did and they did.

The Judge gave me 6 years, I ended up doing 6 years and 7 months.
It took me more than 4 years to get mentally, physically and emotionally straight.The first 3 I was still in love with her, I was a very angry person, there was allot of fighting and other things , breaking the rules( still in rebellion),in that 4th year I started to mature, to deal with the anger,to let go of her. and then the next two to get my head on straight, You here about allot of guys that "get religion" in prison.
Well its true, it is in the darkness that the light is brightest, In the hole,(solitary confinement) for 30 days due to one of my many fights, is where I was finally able to see that light again. and it has guided me since then to this day.

When I left, I remember the guard said " you will be back, they all come back" I looked him right in the eyes and told him " Not me, I wont ever be back"
That was 36 years ago, Ive not had as much as a speeding ticket since the day I walked out those gates.
I wish I could go back and change not just that night, but the night I raised my hand to my Dad and left and so many other things I did back then, But some things you just cant change, All I can do is try to be the best man I can be everyday, and thank God for his forgiveness and grace.

Well, knowing this man, I cant believe what my ears have just heard, Wow! What a mess that can be made of a persons life in just a few minutes, or by associating with the wrong crowd.
I know I didn't do a great job writing this for him, I wont lie, there were a few tears shed while we talked about this,
What I do know is this, Ive known this guy for many years, he don't make excuses, he all ways steps up to the plate , Ive all ways known him to be honest and hard working,genorous and compasionate.I know his 4 great kids and his grand kids. If someone else told me this about him, I would NEVER have beleived it,but If he says this is what happened, you can take it to the bank.

To be honest, I dont know how I feel right now about someone getting their rights back after something like this. But 36 years of an honest and decent life should count for something

No the statement 07JKS made in itself would not get him into trouble. BUT...couple that with a gun sale that ends up in the wrong hands and there will be a LOT of added attention and suspicion. I would not want to be in his shoes.

GDAWG1958, your friend made his informed choices while he was young, and I regret his actions. I am also sure that he regrets his actions as well. But lets say someone he knows is "young and dumb and full of meth" and watches your friend get all his rights back including the vote and firearm. To that "young and dumb person 30 years may not seem that long to his addled head. So he figures if he did it so can I...

Thats the reason he should not get his rights back, he is an example to others. May be someone might not get hurt or worse. Won't fix everything but might reach one person as an example. Isn't that worth it?

To be honest, I dont know how I feel right now about someone getting their rights back after something like this. But 36 years of an honest and decent life should count for something

Yes it should, it should count as a great example to others that are still making decisions. I think you said he was a church goer so he can teach and shape the minds o the young.
And I agree that he should maybe get his vote back, Maybe.
You said he had a great family that he provides for and they all love each other. What more of a reward would mean that much to a real man.

Lets be clear here, It wont kill this man if it doesnt happen.We are just discussing the issue here,but I can understand him wanting to try though, cant you? He has set up an appointment with an attorney to look at the possibility.
Someone said, He should Bow hunt, He does, he and I bow hunt together on a regular basis, as do he and his son. It can get a little hairy in the woods sometimes though, we have ran up on mamma bears with cubs, hogs and coyoteys. a pistol is a nice thing to have in those situations, or camping with your family , takeing trips on vacation etc.
in the world we live in today, I wouldnt want to be defensless and not be able to defend my family. would you? and dont say "he should have thought about that 40 years ago" thats easy to say, but as you see in this story, sometimes life just sucks you in,

It was me that mentioned bow hunting. The main reason I got my carry permit was so I could carry a hand gun during bow season. It does get hairy out there. I hunt with my 13 yr old boy. If it were me I would take all of my hunting permits from past years to the attorney to show that I really wanted it
for hunting reasons.

No the statement 07JKS made in itself would not get him into trouble. BUT...couple that with a gun sale that ends up in the wrong hands and there will be a LOT of added attention and suspicion. I would not want to be in his shoes.

I didn't intend to get back into this at all.. I just wanted to say that this was my whole point (totality of circumstances are always considered) ..perhaps I didn't get the semantics just right but I wasn't busting the guy's post, only trying to get people (everyone) to think about what they say and write before they put it down for thousands to see, that it can come back hard..You and I know it, we've seen it more than once and now days when you get under the microscope, the first thing that gets taken for exam. is your computer.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom