• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Restoring an old Marlin Model 99 for my future son

Csanino

Default rank <2000 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
134   0
Reaction score
Hey guys. So here's the scoop. My wife & I have been together for about 18yrs. We've been trying to have a kid for a while and were unsuccessful until now. We are about 1.5 months away from delivering our first baby boy. I have an old beat up 1967 Marlin model 99 .22 with a gold trigger and grooved receiver that I got at a garage sale a while ago. Now I want to restore/restomod it for my son. Its looks rough, it looks like someone filed the tip of the barrel, missing the front blade sight & rusty. The stock is about the only good looking part. Here it is:

20180801_141329.jpg 20180801_141334.jpg 20180801_141339.jpg 20180801_141357.jpg

So the question is, where do I start? Do it keep it classic or modernize it some? I assume I need to get all the metal blasted, action cleaned. I thought about massaging the file marks on the tip of the barrel them possibly getting all the metal cerakoted black. Thought about also sanding and re-staining the stock a nice glossy reddish brown. Or do I do all the metal in tan with a OD green stock?

Any pointers from you guys would be great. I'm one of those of those guys that believes in sentimental value and some things shouldn't be sold. This rifle will be one of them. I've had it for a few years now and and it will be a long time before my kid will get to shoot it.

Thanks,
-Carlo

Keep it classic. (But) Wait a few years and let your son help with the restore of the rifle. So when he hands it down to his son or daughter it will have a lot of sentimental value for him and he came tell the stores of the good times he had with you restoring it an shooting it. Cograts on the new baby! May you and your wife be blesed with a beautiful and healthy baby boy.

Strip Stock using this method:
Sand Stock(use saw dust and wood glue to fill gouges).
No Stain!
Oil Sandanding and finish coats with BLO:
The beauty of this finish is any scratches in the future can be repaired by a little oil sanding.
All the hard coatings (i.e. TrueOil/Varnish) have to be completely stripped again.

Here's a Marlin I did back in 2015: https://www.theoutdoorstrader.com/threads/first-stock-refinish-marlin-1894.967627/

Personally, I wouldnt cerakote it, I would either have it reblued or parkerized.

Congrats on the future son!

Back
Top Bottom