• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Retaining Wall - Buford

The Skulls

Default rank <200 posts
Tracker
7   0
Reaction score
Looking to replace a railroad tie wall with block or stone of some type beside the house. Had one estimate & two no shows so far, wanting to get at least another estimate. Willing and able to help and provide labor on the job as well.

image.jpg

how tall? Its not hard to do. This was all DIY. There are different bricks you’ll need if you want to go over 36” high there is a different brick you’ll need

View attachment 5225442
how tall? Its not hard to do. This was all DIY. There are different bricks you’ll need if you want to go over 36” high there is a different brick you’ll need
It'll probably need to be about 5ft tall for most of it, but higher near the house by about 40 ft long, with steps in the middle. I've put about 4 pallets worth of blocks around the house in beds, but not this high or with a drain behind it. I could probably do it myself but with the size & steps I wanted to see what someone who does it for a living would charge. Only quote I got so far wanted 3x what the material would cost me, so probably a 4x mark up for them & didn't listen to what I wanted done really.

It'll probably need to be about 5ft tall for most of it, but higher near the house by about 40 ft long, with steps in the middle. I've put about 4 pallets worth of blocks around the house in beds, but not this high or with a drain behind it. I could probably do it myself but with the size & steps I wanted to see what someone who does it for a living would charge. Only quote I got so far wanted 3x what the material would cost me, so probably a 4x mark up for them & didn't listen to what I wanted done really.

These bricks are 11.25"d x 8"h x 18"l and weigh 80 lbs each, and suitable for walls 4’ and taller. The link above is instruction for installation.

Totally doable as a DIY project. I totally get the ‘Steps in the middle’ not wanting to do it yourself

Don’t just put blocks you’re gonna need Geogrid or tie backs if you want it to last and a gravel backfill especially if it’s gonna get any sort of water flow or has any surcharge losing at the top/behind the wall

These bricks are 11.25"d x 8"h x 18"l and weigh 80 lbs each, and suitable for walls 4’ and taller. The link above is instruction for installation.

Totally doable as a DIY project. I totally get the ‘Steps in the middle’ not wanting to do it yourself
YES, 100%. Must use the 80 lb blocks for 36" and higher.
If you're doing DIY, the first row must be BELOW grade and a layer of crushed stone (like #57/67). I like to put 4-6" minimum of stone (must be compacted) , then the first row of blocks below grade. Fellas, that means your trench is about 14" +/- deep and twice as wide as the block. Lots of digging. Lots of dirt. The first row must be 100% level. It if is not, your wall will fail and look like ca-ca.
The 2nd most important part in the drainage BEHIND the wall. If the quotes do not have drainage behind the wall or they say you don't need it, RUN AWAY.

Back
Top Bottom