• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Review: Chestnut Mtn. Georgia WMA range

This is the range that made me join River Bend for safety purposes. A man open fired on the pistol side while under cold range and a man was still hanging targets when he started to empty a clip. A week later woman was allowed to fire a semi auto 12 ga.. when it recoiled she dropped the gun and it discharged and struck another shooter in the leg.

The biggest problem is there are no mandatory required training courses. Any new gun owners can and will show up there to shoot. I was there with my 2 young boys shooting when the new gun owner unwrapped his new handgun and opened up on a cold range with an man in the field.
QUESTION: Do you want to be there with possibly your children not if but when another new gun owner decides to take his new prise to a range having never been taught gun any safety rules at all. Sorry, I AM NOT THE ONE!
You can go shoot but I want to mention " A word to the wise is ________ " well should be sufficient. Attend at your own risk!!!!!
You could have given them the free course.... :)

Go through the weekday and it's a lot safer. Mainly older gentlemen shooting. I've been on the weekend and it's a freaking zoo.
This ^^^ we went on a Friday. There were mostly older folks, and 2 of the guys were there training their boys to shoot. They looked to be about 13 or 14. I wouldn't even think of going there on a Saturday.

I go up with the kids twice a year and spend about 3-4 hours there. We only go weekdays because I’ve heard of long waits on Saturdays. I have never had any problems. We skipped our April trip this year.

If you value your life stay away!! I went one time, after that I joined a range.

The day I went it was packed. The guns you had to lay behind you(so if you had like a two) they could easily be stolen. Nobody would stop to hang targets. 2-3 people had bump stocks. Brass was hitting a lot of people in the face. Even saw hott brass go down clothes and get stuck on peoples faces.

Just a totally epic cluster.

I'm sure if you went on a day with nobody their you might live. I would personally avoid at all costs.

Next time try Wilson Shoals WMA in Lula, GA, a bit north of Gainesville,GA. Then you will make a review saying “It is freaking awesome Guys!”

Went yesterday. Got there about 1:45 and there were maybe 2-3 open lanes on the rifle bay. Pistol bay wasn't so busy.

I thought between no gas and ammo shortages the place wouldn't be so busy. Boy was I wrong. Great place to shoot and very good RSOs.

Last time I was at Chestnut Mtn. there were a couple mountain boys that came to "watch". Lurking way too close to my range bag and others. The couple other shooters came over and warned me pretty quick upon their arrival, they've been seen way too close to folks's stuff up their before.
upload_2021-5-17_11-49-48.jpeg

:bolt:

Back
Top Bottom