• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Revolver EDC opinions

I had a LEO instructor show me one secret which is to load two at a time from the speed strip. Think about speed strips is that they are cheap and you can keep a couple stashed out of the way here and there.
A trick I learned was to use the 6-round speed strips, but only load 5 rounds, loading 2, skipping a space and loading the other 3. This lets you quickly get the first 2 rounds in the cylinder.

The odds were of needing a gun where most of us live and work? The odds of needing more bullets? Walter Mitty anyone?

That's the spirit! Get rid of that spare tire in your vehicle, cancel your insurance, throw out those fire extinguishers in your house, sell that safe. I mean, what's the odds you'd ever need any of that?

I carried a J frame for almost 15 years and am lucky as hell that I never had to use it in a gun fight. In my opinion small revolvers while easily concealed require an expert level of skill for defensive use.
It takes a lot of practice to do combat reloads and speed loaders are the only decent way to accomplish that outside of machining the cylinder for moon clips. That being said reloading with speed loaders quickly also requires an expert level of skill.
With small revolvers you also have limited space between the frame and the cylinder due to the short crane further complicating combat reloads and grip choice.
And lets not forget dumping spent cartridges before the reload can happen. Short barrels also mean short stems therefore ensuring less reliable extraction. Stick with nickel plated ammo.
Not trying to burst anyone's bubble. Any gun is better than no gun but as a guy who now carries a full size handgun I wouldn't recommend a small revolver to anyone but the most dedicated defensive shooter and practice,practice, practice.

I carried a J frame for almost 15 years and am lucky as hell that I never had to use it in a gun fight. In my opinion small revolvers while easily concealed require an expert level of skill for defensive use.
It takes a lot of practice to do combat reloads and speed loaders are the only decent way to accomplish that outside of machining the cylinder for moon clips. That being said reloading with speed loaders quickly also requires an expert level of skill.
With small revolvers you also have limited space between the frame and the cylinder due to the short crane further complicating combat reloads and grip choice.
And lets not forget dumping spent cartridges before the reload can happen. Short barrels also mean short stems therefore ensuring less reliable extraction. Stick with nickel plated ammo.
Not trying to burst anyone's bubble. Any gun is better than no gun but as a guy who now carries a full size handgun I wouldn't recommend a small revolver to anyone but the most dedicated defensive shooter and practice,practice, practice.

And yet small framed revolvers get recommended to women shooters all the time by people behind gun counters and self described gun experts...

Speed strips are the way to go. Moon clips bend too easily, and speed loaders are a PITA to carry. if you are comfortable with the limited round count as a trade off for easy carry, that's how I would go.

Just remember that you still need to clean a revo, pocket carry is basically a lint trap. If you are IWB carrying it, I would go with something with a little more capacity... It won't be any harder.

Back
Top Bottom