• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Revolver EDC opinions

First of all, I love seeing kids getting out and shooting. Is she running USPSA or ICORE, or both?

Secondly, I can't think of a single person that can perform a a one second reload on a J frame. I'd dearly love to be proven wrong on that one by the way. The OP was about a 442, not a service sized frame revolver using a competition rig.

On the note of moon clips, unless you're toting them in a carrier, they suck. The clips are fragile and will bend. Bent moon clips will lock up a revolver faster than high primers and trash under the extractor star.

She shoots both, and has mentioned wanting to shoot IDPA. With practice a J Frame reload with moons (although not sub second) can be done almost as quickly as most mag changes by an average shooter. Practice being the operative word. I’m not saying I’m Jerry Miculek, not even implying that I’m an above shooter. BUT... I see a perfectly good excuse to get a Model 60 in my future. I agree, it would be difficult to get even down to a 2 second reload. But let’s try it! Heck, I’ve got a GoPro and timer. The moon clips is a very easy solution with just 5 shots versus the 8 shot moons we use. TK Custom, Revolver Supply, and Safariland all offer IDPA legal carriers that for a J Frame aren’t much larger than a regular mag carrier.

Plus as an added bonus... it would make for an awesome set up for BUG Nationals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I wore a blue tu tu it may not increase my speed but Im sure it would distract my attacker enough I would hassve time to reload.
Congats young lady looks to be getting it done.

That’s her Tactical TuTu. The pic is from the 2017 International Revolver Championship
b067ad350b89cc1fe50de80687c944a1.jpg

She shoots both, and has mentioned wanting to shoot IDPA. With practice a J Frame reload with moons (although not sub second) can be done almost as quickly as most mag changes by an average shooter. Practice being the operative word. I’m not saying I’m Jerry Miculek, not even implying that I’m an above shooter. BUT... I see a perfectly good excuse to get a Model 60 in my future. I agree, it would be difficult to get even down to a 2 second reload. But let’s try it! Heck, I’ve got a GoPro and timer. The moon clips is a very easy solution with just 5 shots versus the 8 shot moons we use. TK Custom, Revolver Supply, and Safariland all offer IDPA legal carriers that for a J Frame army much larger than a regular mag carrier.

Plus as an added bonus... it would make for an awesome set up for BUG Nationals.

IDPA ain't what it used to be and has become increasingly revolver unfriendly. That being said, she could probably compete against some of the other classes and do well. She'd need an IDPA legal rig though, closed holster that covers the trigger guard, moon clip holders that have some form of retention, a regular belt etc. unless you know the MD and can convince him/her to let her shoot her rig and not record the scores.

Back in the good ol' days I was running sub two second reloads with an L frame and Safariland Comp 2's. I have put a great deal of effort into NOT timing my reloads these days although I did do some FAST drills with a 317 this weekend using speedstrips to prove a point to myself. Those were 8 second reloads loading only the four rounds I needed for the second part of the drill. That's also why I say reloads with speedstrips should only be administrative in nature.

And guys the Revolver vs. Semiautomatic debate for women is as old as the 9mm vs. .45acp (and just as chock full of myths). Lizzie B is 12 years old, and can shoot and function both equally well. My middle daughter isn’t a fan of revolvers, but loves the X5 and her 2011 and 1911. (She’s 13) Shooters are only limited by the the proper selection of semiauto, and narrow mind of the husband/ boyfriend who think they know. The OP has a nice easy to carry gun with a heavy DA trigger pull, and above all as with any firearm for EDC should get to the range with it. Heck, he can come shoot with us any time!

Small women can't rack the slide on semi-auto but can pull the trigger on a J frame. Especially older women with a touch of arthritis.

Pulling the trigger is a two handed operation.

Same for the slide stop.
I've seen exactly the opposite under controlled conditions. Go figure...

Small women can't rack the slide on semi-auto but can pull the trigger on a J frame. Especially older women with a touch of arthritis.

Pulling the trigger is a two handed operation.

Same for the slide stop.

Small women like 10 years old small? The long heavy trigger pull alone on an out of the box J Frame impeaches your myths. There are no less than 4 phenomenal instructors on this forum who in a minor amount of time could properly instruct how to operate a semiauto. I can name 2 dozen junior female action shooters and another 3 dozen female pro/semi pro shooters ranging up to in their 60’s that make your opinion flawed.

The “revolver for a woman” is the results of salesmanship and lazy pompous husbands not willing to work with their wives on fundamentals or foot the bill for someone else to do it.

e0b22e7fc2f3a66c3b4b7cfc476d8746.jpg

You can’t really make a remark about one woman, or a group of women, and have it apply to all women.

There are women that can pull a DA revolver trigger just fine, but can’t reliably manipulate the slide on a semi-auto.

There are women that can manipulate the slide on a semi-auto, but can’t accurately pull the trigger on a DA revolver.

There are women that can do both very well.

There are women that can’t do either.

There are men that fit all four of my above statements, as well.

I took the gun to the range on Monday and put a hundred rounds through it. I was really impressed. It shoots very well for such a small gun. I ran the target out to 25 yards and kept all five rounds in the shilouette. All the other rounds were fired from 15 yards and in. It took a little to get used to not having a trigger reset. The trigger weight while heavy is very smooth and did not hender accuracy. I have ordered a couple speed strips and a Safariland comp I loader. I am going to get as proficient as I can with both. I also ordered a nice pancake holster from Lobo Gun Leather.

Small women like 10 years old small? The long heavy trigger pull alone on an out of the box J Frame impeaches your myths. There are no less than 4 phenomenal instructors on this forum who in a minor amount of time could properly instruct how to operate a semiauto. I can name 2 dozen junior female action shooters and another 3 dozen female pro/semi pro shooters ranging up to in their 60’s that make your opinion flawed.

The “revolver for a woman” is the results of salesmanship and lazy pompous husbands not willing to work with their wives on fundamentals or foot the bill for someone else to do it.

e0b22e7fc2f3a66c3b4b7cfc476d8746.jpg

That shoothouse looks familiar.

Back
Top Bottom