• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Revolver EDC opinions

You can’t really make a remark about one woman, or a group of women, and have it apply to all women.

There are women that can pull a DA revolver trigger just fine, but can’t reliably manipulate the slide on a semi-auto.

There are women that can manipulate the slide on a semi-auto, but can’t accurately pull the trigger on a DA revolver.

There are women that can do both very well.

There are women that can’t do either.

There are men that fit all four of my above statements, as well.
Therein lies the problem. There are no absolutes when it comes to which firearms suit a particular demographic.

Based on my experience a .38 caliber (or larger) J fame is probably the least suitable for most women but seems to be the option most often recommended to them. If it’s not the trigger press it’s the felt recoil, or the over pressure wave, or the noise, or whatever. Most times recommendations to reduce the caliber to alleviate those other issues are met with derision by the same groups that recommended a small .38 to begin with. Those same issues apply to men as well.

I’ve carried and competed with revolvers for quite some time and still struggle with using a J frame at times. I’ll never be able to make one perform to the level I’d prefer but I am dedicated to the concept of 100% accountability for my shots.

I’d prefer to see more folks renting firearms and doing their own research but that would require a fundamental change of human nature that most folks aren’t willing to pursue.

Speaking only for my wife, she has limited hand strength and cannot rack the slide on any of my semi-autos. She does, however, operate Smith 642 and 19 snubbies adequately.

when it comes to speed strips, I spent some time searching YouTube for videos showing how good experienced revolver shooters can get using them, and the answer is THERE ARE NO SUCH VIDEOS. Plenty of videos of people talking about them, showing what they look like in their homes around the kitchen table or loading bench. Some people even load their revolvers with them on camera, but they do it very slowly, with the gun flat on the workbench.

I only found 1 video of a guy actually shooting a revolver with live ammo and then reloading on camera with the speed strip, and he was painfully slow and awkward.

That's been my experience, too.

when it comes to speed strips, I spent some time searching YouTube for videos showing how good experienced revolver shooters can get using them, and the answer is THERE ARE NO SUCH VIDEOS. Plenty of videos of people talking about them, showing what they look like in their homes around the kitchen table or loading bench. Some people even load their revolvers with them on camera, but they do it very slowly, with the gun flat on the workbench.

I only found 1 video of a guy actually shooting a revolver with live ammo and then reloading on camera with the speed strip, and he was painfully slow and awkward.

That's been my experience, too.
Look up Michael duBethancourt. Don't look him up on youtube, you won't find him there.

I don't see any videos from this guy, on the subject of reloading a revolver, EXCEPT on Youtube.
Can you provide a link to what video you think shows him using a Bianchi speed strip?

6DFC36E0-D9A9-4729-AE29-27CA8EB429E0.jpeg

Just a few weeks ago I tried carrying extra ammo in my pocket for my snub-nose .38.

I didn’t like the bulge of the speedloader. That goes back in the center console of my vehicle.

The speed strip was easy to pocket carry.

It's actually easier to just carry two lightweight J-frames. Better balance, either hand access. DeSantis Nemesis holsters and choose your pockets. 'Course a couple of speed strips are still comforting, just in case.

Back
Top Bottom