• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Revolvers

I took a class from an instructor who is former DEA whose career was spent mostly in Central and South America where he was limited to carrying only a revolver, a ported stainless.357 S&W, bobbed hammer, can't recall the model now, and he let me shoot it.
I like revolvers but carried a 1911 in both the Army & the Navy so I carry semi autos now, but if I had to rely on a revolver, while I might worry about reload speed, I definitely wouldn't feel bad about carrying the above mentioned gun.

From a Police magazine....

The Perfect SWAT Revolver

The worst thing that can happen to any law enforcement officer is to have your pistol jam when you need to use it to protect life and property. As the story goes, a police SWAT team reportedly contacted Smith & Wesson to discuss the need to arm the lead penetrator who carries the ballistic shield during tactical operations with a revolver instead of a semi-automatic pistol. The rationale behind this request was to provide a handgun to certain SWAT personnel that would not jam or malfunction, especially if the firearm made contact with the ballistic shield or any other obstruction when it was fired. In response, the Smith & Wesson Performance Center developed the Model 327 Tactical Rail Revolver in .357 Magnum with an eight-shot capacity.
I still carry a S&W 442 on my tac vest. I have been on SWAT for over 10 years! When it hits the fan, I know that the 442 will function and fire.

Compared to a modern semi auto, are they obsolete as a defensive gun?

No, I almost had to use mine (a Snub-nose Model 36) at Wal-Mart(on Buford Hwy) 10 days ago when 3 young punks try to mug me for my jewelry, pulled it out and asked them if there lives were really worth jewelry.

Of course not. A revolver will fire every time you pull the trigger. No more practicing sticks, jams or jars and that doesn't fix it get the hammer. You get the best of both world with the right one. Pull the hammer back with your thumb and you have a nice, light, crisp break or just keep on pulling the trigger. My go to gun is a Alexandria Arms Rossi 357. Shoots like a dream. I picked up a lot of handguns in my time but I have yet to find is equal in feel in this size frame and size. It's the perfect size and weight and the grips is just at the right angle. I love this gun. It sits very close to me at night and is my keep me alive gun until I can get to the safe and start pulling the howitzers. Can you dig it! I knew that you could!
20180829_163123.jpg

Of course not. A revolver will fire every time you pull the trigger. No more practicing sticks, jams or jars and that doesn't fix it get the hammer. You get the best of both world with the right one. Pull the hammer back with your thumb and you have a nice, light, crisp break or just keep on pulling the trigger. My go to gun is a Alexandria Arms Rossi 357. Shoots like a dream. I picked up a lot of handguns in my time but I have yet to find is equal in feel in this size frame and size. It's the perfect size and weight and the grips is just at the right angle. I love this gun. It sits very close to me at night and is my keep me alive gun until I can get to the safe and start pulling the howitzers. Can you dig it! I knew that you could!View attachment 1762961
had that in a snub with the non fluted cylinder. great gun fo sho.

Indeed. I don't see people lining up to take trains though.
Check with Rocky Mountaineer in Canada. Their trips are always sold out. And they ain't cheap.
We did 12 days in western Canada last month, three full days on a train, loved it.
Take train rides when we can.
'Course, I have several revolvers, so there's that.

I’m not scared carrying a wheel gun and some speed loaders/strips. I’m aware of the disadvantages of carrying a snub j frame and if more than one attacker runs up on me all I can really promise is dude number 1 is getting ****ed uppp :lol:

Seriously though boarding house rules apply with semi or wheelies. Give one target a serving, then serve another target, then dish out seconds to whoever is still hungry

Off topic....Wish I had a 3913 :bowl:

I was saying that 45lc revolvers are antiquated much like trains for personal travel. For most cases a plane will do better than a train like a semi auto will do better than a revolver.
They couldn't be more unrelated. People want to get from point A to point B as fast as possible. People aren't any more bullet proof now than 100 years ago. Jerry Miculek points at you and laughs.... as he boards the train.

I’m not scared carrying a wheel gun and some speed loaders/strips. I’m aware of the disadvantages of carrying a snub j frame and if more than one attacker runs up on me all I can really promise is dude number 1 is getting ****ed uppp :lol:

Seriously though boarding house rules apply with semi or wheelies. Give one target a serving, then serve another target, then dish out seconds to whoever is still hungry

Off topic....Wish I had a 3913 :bowl:
wish I had a model 19

Back
Top Bottom