• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Riding Mower Problem

joewilly

Default rank <4500 posts
ODT Junkie!
261   0
Reaction score
It is a 2011, Troy-Bilt Pony, 42 inch with a 17.5 hp Briggs and Stratton engine. I picked it up last summer and
completely tuned it up, plugs, air and gas filter, oil change, new battery, replaced old gas with new gas, etc. It
has been running great until last week when the engine quit while I was cutting my lawn. It will turn over, but will
not start. I did the standard troubleshooting, even removing the spark plug and squirting some gas into the engine,
and it will not kick over. Any ideas before I trade it for something else?
Troy Bilt Pony.JPG

Is the spark plug getting a spark?
Have you visually confirmed that by grounding the spark plug tip to some exposed metal part of the engine while you crank it or a friend cranks it for you?

If no spark, check the wires and contacts on the Kill switch that is attached to the seat-- the one that is supposed to automatically shut off the engine if you lift your body weight off the seat.

Is the spark plug getting a spark?
Have you visually confirmed that by grounding the spark plug tip to some exposed metal part of the engine while you crank it or a friend cranks it for you?

If no spark, check the wires and contacts on the Kill switch that is attached to the seat-- the one that is supposed to automatically shut off the engine if you lift your body weight off the seat.

Beat me to it. I forgot about the seat sensor. Not sure how though, I had one give me a hell of a fit because of that. I ended up making a jumper for it.

It won't be the seat sensor since when you aren't sitting in the seat the engine won't turn over at all. Could be dirt in the fuel line or bad fuel. If the mower (I have the same one) has set up with fuel in the tank it could easily go bad.

It is a 2011, Troy-Bilt Pony, 42 inch with a 17.5 hp Briggs and Stratton engine. I picked it up last summer and
completely tuned it up, plugs, air and gas filter, oil change, new battery, replaced old gas with new gas, etc. It
has been running great until last week when the engine quit while I was cutting my lawn. It will turn over, but will
not start. I did the standard troubleshooting, even removing the spark plug and squirting some gas into the engine,
and it will not kick over. Any ideas before I trade it for something else?
View attachment 2726651
Make sure your getting the correct voltage from the battery.

Back
Top Bottom