• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Rifle - Individual to FFL?

Okay. Update :

Called the ATF field office in Atlanta and spoke at an ATF IOI for all of 3 minutes before he told me what I already knew, and suggested that my FFL may have breached the law by taking the weapon back from me. He volunteered to email my guy the law in black and white, and offered he and myself his personal cell phone and office numbers. I called the propriter of The Whole Kit & Kabootale enterprises and before I could get "Good morning" out of my mouth, he quickly cut me off with a rather impolite "ATF has not contacted me yet, Scott." My name is not Scott. It is Nic. I told him, impatiently, to check his email and call the ATF IOI, and that I was on my way to pick up MY weapon. 5 minutes later he calls me and tells me to swing by the bank and pick up ANOTHER $25.00. I asked, not unreasonably, why I was to pay the fee TWICE. He said I was "Taking care of the seller's end for taking advantage of him." I Baulked, initially, and told him that that was absurd as it did not cost him anything extra, and added that I have now made THREE trips out of the way to pick up a rifle that is legally already mine due entirely to his failure to understand the law. He was persistent, and said the alternative was to send the rifle BACK to IL, and have it sent through somebody else - on my nickel. That sounded worse than being extorted for another $25.00, and by now, I had to be back at the farm nd be done with this whole mess. So, clinch-jawed, I paid his stinking additional 'advantage fee' (textbook extortion) and went on my way, but made it very clear that he would NEVER see me again, and that he could expect no kind words on the various forums I subscribe to.

Southern GA gun owners, heed this warning :

DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES do business with Rodney Watson, or The Whole Kit & Kabootale Enterprises. This guy is unfamiliar with basic firearms laws, impolite, and unprofessional. I consider him a crook after the demand for an extra $25.00. Learn from my mistake - Go to Shooters, T&C, Oakwell, or Coastal. Stay away from the no-names. Too much risk involved.

So, the rifle ran me $550.00 + $20.00 S&H + $25 transfer fee + $25 extortion + 20 gas + 2.5 hours of my very limited time.

Total $640 / 2.5 hours of my time / extreme aggravation

More than I had hoped to sink into it, and the entire transaction has left me with a very sour taste in my mouth. However, the rifle is in very fine condition, and I am excited to shoot it Thursday. My ammo and mags also came in today, so, it should be a good time. A buddy of mine is down from school, and I'm looking forward to it. Hopefully my range report will be more pleasant than my transaction report.

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

Also, is there a place I can sticky my letter of caution regarding the unprofessional execution of the transfer by K&K?

Sorry you went thru all that nonsense. I must also say it wasn't really necessary because you're gonna learn everything you'll ever need or want to know about the M16 at Parris Island!
Good luck with your training in these upcoming hot months.

Should have told him you were bringing a deputy with you to have his axx arrested if he failed to return your lawful property to you..and you should have followed thru with it and saved the extra 25.
Then he could have dealt with BATF for theft of a firearm .
P. I. will be tough but remember it will be a fond memory the rest of your life.
Advice from an old Marine...first word out of your mouth SIR and do not use the word YOU..once you can focus your eyes again it will be explained that ewe is a female sheep.
Good Luck and thank you for stepping up to stand between our families and those that would threaten us.

Should have told him you were bringing a deputy with you to have his axx arrested if he failed to return your lawful property to you..and you should have followed thru with it and saved the extra 25.
Then he could have dealt with BATF for theft of a firearm .
P. I. will be tough but remember it will be a fond memory the rest of your life.
Advice from an old Marine...first word out of your mouth SIR and do not use the word YOU..once you can focus your eyes again it will be explained that ewe is a female sheep.
Good Luck and thank you for stepping up to stand between our families and those that would threaten us.

I should have, but I was seriously out of time. At my young age, I'm blessed with the responsibility of being over 10-15 people, some well into their 40's, and they depend on me. I push hard every day to ensure that all tasks are completed quickly and efficiently. While it may not sound like much, being out for even an hour or two is a serious setback. I was glad for it to be over, and figure the business he'll lose after the negative feedback he'll get here and elsewhere will far outweigh the $25.00 that was yanked from me.

I am very excited to go in, and I've been drilling procedural "do's" and "don't" into my memory for the last several weeks. I've aout got the vocabulary down, and my general orders are becoming second nature as well. I picked up a book that accounts for every moment of every day of the gruelling reality of Basic at Paris Island. Boot, by Daniel Da Cruz, and old USMC vet who returned to PI to write the novel.

I'm very grateful for the opportunity to serve my beloved country, and feel that the Marine Corps is the best way in which I can do my part. THANK YOU for your service.

atljetmech :

I know I'll have to forget a lot of what I know, and become re-educated in marksmanship 'by the numbers', but truth be told, I will act on just about any excuse to buy a gun - especially an AR for $550.00! : )

Yes the FFL Screwed you over but you did get a really good deal for that price. Take it out, shoot it and think about how you got a good rifle for a good price! Report him to the ATF and see what happens.

I'm sorry to hear about this. That guy has no business with an FFL if he doesn't study the laws!

And charging you an additional transfer fee tells me he's also a crook.

Thanks for the info. Hope everything works out in Parris Island and maybe you can take the train and get off at Yemassee SC. I grew up only about 40 miles from Parris Island. My nephew went thru about 5 years ago and got hollered at for laughing at the boys on the range that knew nothing about shooting a gun. He blasted the target since he was raised with a gun in his hands.

It's my understanding (someone PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong) that an individual can ship to an FFL per Federal Law. Quite a few FFL's refuse to receive from individuals because they have no idea who the gun is really coming from. In other words if one FFL ships to another both have a record of the transferee as well as the serial number, whereas I could ship a rifle to an FFL claiming to be someone I am not, possibly having stolen the gun and then selling it out of state. Since the ATF is looking for an excuse to shut down FFL's a lot of them don't want the hassle.

In short, your FFL should have known that he could receive a firearm from an individual. He should have known that it was coming from an individual to begin with, as FFL's that transfer between each other routinely fax copies of their liscense. I'd say he's to blame. If it had of been me, I would not have gone back, would have told him to get his junk together, and made him come get the rifle if it got to that point.

Just sayen.

x2 some FFL's won't accept items from individuals.

Update :

My regret over the disastrous transfer process was layed to rest this evening. My buddy is back from school, and we took her out for a nice range session at Dixon WMA. After we got the sights dialed in, I was sub MOA at 100 yards, and was very pleased after 400+ rounds (mostly Silver Bear junk, but some Remington and WInchester mixed in) to report no malfunctions of any kind (Tula ammo gummed up on every single shot - thankfully I only bought one box of that stuff)

My USGI mags ran great. My Pmags ran great. The rifle ran flawlessly. The bulk buy I did on the Thermold MasterMolder 20 round mags turned out to be an awesome deal at less than $4.00 per mag as they all ran perfectly. Everything is GTG, less the Tula .223. My AR hated it. Great day. Now, back to the reality that is work in a few hours : /

Back
Top Bottom