• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Rifle load development methods?

I do ladder test myself usually in .3 increments. I shoot it at 400 over a chrono. Usually find an upper and lower node. Usually I get in the middle of the node and that produces very good ES/SD. On a new gun or barrel I do my seating depth testing while I'm fireforming brass, from my experience barrels speed up somewhere between 80-120rds so if I done my ladder test first I could very well be out my node when the barrel settles in. Also seating depth can change pressure/speed especially if your on the lands so I like to have my seating depth figured out before I run my ladder. I have never had to go back and rework my seating depth after doing it first but I've most definitely had to rework my charge weights when doing them before seating depth.

A program like quickload would pay dividends.
Call the company of the powder you want to use and talk with them, they will work u up a load, then u can work from there, personally I don’t like hot loads, just change your load in small amounts, and set your over all length, just as close as u can get to the riffling, and the bullet still loads easily..don’t forget to write your formula down!

Call the company of the powder you want to use and talk with them, they will work u up a load, then u can work from there, personally I don’t like hot loads, just change your load in small amounts, and set your over all length, just as close as u can get to the riffling, and the bullet still loads easily..don’t forget to write your formula down!
Sent that to the wrong person…sorry

OCW. .3 increments.

Magnetospeed

100% pay attention to the data, not the group.

Load to the middle of a node.

Then seating depth in .02 increments. I start 4 tho off. I don't care to load for jamb if I don't have to, and with the bullet designs I run, generally find somewhere around 10 to 20 tho works well. Ymmv

Slight digression: Magnetospeed over LabRadar?
I"m leaning towards the LabRadar mainly because I can set it up and run it with a variety of platforms and not have to worry about mounting it on each rifle and easier to use with pistols as I work subsonic loads for pistols.

Labradar had early teething troubles. Really not sure if those ever got weeded out. Once you do it a few times the magnetospeed isn't that big of a mounting issue. Biggest concern would be if you plan on using a chrony for pistol.

Labradar had early teething troubles. Really not sure if those ever got weeded out. Once you do it a few times the magnetospeed isn't that big of a mounting issue. Biggest concern would be if you plan on using a chrony for pistol.
That and it does affect the barrel harmonics and POI. Develop load based on what target tells you, then attach the magnetospeed to get fps.

That and it does affect the barrel harmonics and POI. Develop load based on what target tells you, then attach the magnetospeed to get fps.
No. Follow the data.

Ocw. Ladder. Pick your poison. I prefer ocw. But, with both, the goal is to hit a velocity node where different charge weights run about the same velocity. That also equates to consistency in changing temps, which is the ultimate goal. Follow the data for charge weight. Groups for seating depth.

Back
Top Bottom