• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Rifle load development methods?

SpeedyR

Default rank <3000 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
118   0
Reaction score
Over the past few years I've bought a few new rifles, moved optics around and upgraded glass, and of course there are new powders out to try (and some good ones that are still hard to find!!). With that being said, I'm about to start developing loads for a few of my rifles. Basic stuff like 308 (bolt and semi auto), 280, 22 hornet, 223/5.56, etc.

So what methods have you found best to easily develop loads? I've got a chronograph (not a fancy one, Caldwell, but might move to a labradar at some point) to run loads thru. Hornady OAL gauge for appropriate calibers and a few bullets I'd like to run for each caliber..

Ladder testing?

Optimal Charge Weight/OCW?

or something else?

Ladder test in .01 increments. Then narrow it to the best constant/consistent speed check shoot again and get to 1 ,then work on your jump to lands.
Varget in 308 or 223 and maybe h4895 for 223.
6.5 creed loves h4350.
O.a.l will tighten your group and use good bullets and brass anything you get cheap on will majorly effect your groups which defeats all your work. You must be able to repeat it or waste of time imo.

Added, yes I chronograph for the exact speed.

Charge weight Ladder in .5 increments to find nodes then do another ladder in .2 or .1 increments to find the widest node. After charge data I start on seating depth I load everything jam and bring an inline seater and arbor press to range to seat from jam To jump in .03 increments till I find a node. I don’t use a chrono the target will tell you everything. If you need the chrono data use it after you’ve found the load your rifle likes that way your not caught up in the numbers and overlook a load that shoots well plus it’s just another thing to set up.

Quality Chronograph. .3 charge increments loaded .02 off lands. Find node. Play with seating depth. Ladder testing doesn't really work unless you have 2 or 3 hundred yards and it's a long walk to mark each bullet hole. OCW all the way

Quality Chronograph. .3 charge increments loaded .02 off lands. Find node. Play with seating depth. Ladder testing doesn't really work unless you have 2 or 3 hundred yards and it's a long walk to mark each bullet hole. OCW all the way
Do you mean ladders don’t work at 100 because some loads the bullet doesn’t stabilize until 200. Like a rifle that shoots better groups at 200 than 100?

Do you mean ladders don’t work at 100 because some loads the bullet doesn’t stabilize until 200. Like a rifle that shoots better groups at 200 than 100?
No. A velocity spread of 50 fps is well within the realm of shooter error at 100 yds. Much harder to detect what was you vs the load. Step it out to 300 and a 50 fps velocity swing will present itself more clearly.

But also yes, some folks prescribe to certain bullets "going to sleep" or becoming more gyroscopically stable at 2-300. Usually associated with lathe turned solids.

My personal way is with a magnetospeed. Do my .3 work up, shoot literally anywhere. The target doesn't matter, the data is all I want. 10 yd indoor range, 1000 yd outdoors or into the dirt out the back porch. Once node is selected, load in the middle and do seating depth. I usually do .02 and work towards jamb but I did bergers suggested method last time with 80 gr VLDs and found the best shooting load I've ever found. .12 off and move in .03 increments. 1 or 2 will shoot way tighter. Run it like ya stole it.

Back
Top Bottom