• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Rio Olympic Games

JWC

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
154   0
Reaction score
Much as been lately about the number of athletes going or not going to the Rio Olympic Games. Some have mentioned the deplorable conditions in Rio, the potential for getting the Zika virus, the lack of sufficient protection for the athletes and those who are attending, and the fact that the facilities are either not completed or are completed and are substandard. Would you go to represent your country or would you pass on the opportunity?

Might depend on which sport for me, not sure but in general, I'd never go there for 'vacation' so probably wouldn't be excited about going under any condition. Seeing the emotion of many of them as they made the team is pretty incredible. Obviously nothing will keep them away. What was interesting to me is they seem to be more emotional about making the team than many are about winning a medal. I really hope the men's sprinters can bring back the glory of the recent past.

this is honestly a really hard one these games are already panning out to be a GIANT **** show. between all of this, the social cleansing by their police, the Russian doping, just doesn't seem like a good year for the Olympics

As stated, I guess it would depend on the event. Track stars, swimmers, and other lesser events have to be torn. This is THE only world wide stage they will have. I can't imagine doing all the training and sacrifice and not attending. I just hope that those who choose not to attend do not get a thrashing in our media.

I think if we were athletes of olympic caliber, we would be blinded by the lure of "The Olympics".

That is the pinnacle of careers, the ultimate goal that these kids made sacrifices to achieve.

I think if I were of that caliber, I would go, all risks be damned.

Alas, I am a fatso who competes in couch surfing....so HELL NO.

No way you could pay me money to go to that mess.

But, I will watch every night and hate the Chinese women gymnastics team for all of America.

I guess athletes are weighing there options, or lack of. Seems to me there's too many negative facts keeping athletes and spectators away from these game's. In a world filled with violence from terrorist, this country is a easy target . Not to mention Heath concerns. A third world country cannot effectively control these issues.

Reactions: JWC
As stated, I guess it would depend on the event. Track stars, swimmers, and other lesser events have to be torn. This is THE only world wide stage they will have. I can't imagine doing all the training and sacrifice and not attending. I just hope that those who choose not to attend do not get a thrashing in our media.
It 'might' be easier for the real stars to not go than those that just made the team. There are obviously a variety of 'world championships' etc. in many sports and the swimmers and sprinters can stay busy all year if they chose and the best earn an impressive living. But for the ones that barely make the team, especially the older ones, they know this is really their only chance to 'shine' much less catapult their career into something potentially profitable. It's a shame it has to be in what is essentially a third world hell hole but, c'est la vie.

An Olympic metal is the pinnacle of some events. But other events, like golf, the pinnacle is not an Olympic metal. The pinnacle for them is to win a "Major".
I just hate that back door deals, payoffs, and just out right criminal offenses were made in order for Rio to get the Olympics. Chicago was in the running, or so they thought. But the fix was in for Rio, even though those in charge knew Rio did not have the ability to get their act together. Just a sad commentary on the greed of the Olympic Committee, run by criminals who were out for nothing but money.

An Olympic metal is the pinnacle of some events. But other events, like golf, the pinnacle is not an Olympic metal. The pinnacle for them is to win a "Major".
I just hate that back door deals, payoffs, and just out right criminal offenses were made in order for Rio to get the Olympics. Chicago was in the running, or so they thought. But the fix was in for Rio, even though those in charge knew Rio did not have the ability to get their act together. Just a sad commentary on the greed of the Olympic Committee, run by criminals who were out for nothing but money.
So you mean the previously stellar reputation of the IOC has been tarnished? :laugh: ;)

Back
Top Bottom