• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Rise of the $350 AR

Some of the budget AR's lately are just plain crap... do your research first

I'm talking about horror story barrels

MIM parts that break on a single range trip

Poor quality control mashed together rifles

Think the Black Friday 50" tv's for $200...

I can't like this enough

Well that's cool and all but it's still basically an AR. I dig ARs and really dig AKs but I'm ready for something new that's not based on either one. I dig the wood and steel traditional looks of the Mini 14/30 but it's kinda dated too and the mags are expensive. I would like to see a a new wood and steel semi auto carbine. I guess it doesn't necessarily have to be wood and steel. Just something new that gets away from the AR design and doesn't look like a science fiction weapon and costs $3K.

I always enjoyed shooting the several Mini 14's I have owned. But the main reas9n I did ditxh them was the mag cost. If they would release one in 5.56 that took AR and 9ne in 7.62 that took AK mags then I think I would have to have one of each. Provides they arent still $750 bucks like they are now.

Reactions: MRH
There's a great deal of truth in the axiom "you get what you pay for", (or the manufacturer is going to go bankrupt, Colt anyone ?).

If you want a quality US made product, you're going to pay more than for something with a significant proportion of included value coming from overseas.

I always enjoyed shooting the several Mini 14's I have owned. But the main reas9n I did ditxh them was the mag cost. If they would release one in 5.56 that took AR and 9ne in 7.62 that took AK mags then I think I would have to have one of each. Provides they arent still $750 bucks like they are now.
Yeah an AR mag conversion for the Mini 14 would make someone very wealthy. And it doesn't seem like it would be all that hard. Many years ago I read an article about an AUG that used AR mags. And a Mini 14 conversion would probably look a good bit like the Yugo PAP pistols in 5.56.
Now a Mini 30 that used AK mags would definitely be handy but probably look kinda goofy like an SKS with a 30 round mag stuck in it.

America is nowhere near ready to move away from the AR platform. We are in AR craziness right now. But who knows. Maybe this flood of everyone doing the same thing will give rise to the truly unique. One could hope. I'd personally love to see some sort of slimmed down FAL para in 5.56 that utilized AR mags lol.

America is nowhere near ready to move away from the AR platform. We are in AR craziness right now. But who knows. Maybe this flood of everyone doing the same thing will give rise to the truly unique. One could hope. I'd personally love to see some sort of slimmed down FAL para in 5.56 that utilized AR mags lol.[/QUO
There was a version of the FAL in 5.56 but I've only seen one in magazines and in the big gunfight scene in Heat. I believe it's called the FNC and is probably very expressive when you do find one.

The Gen 2 Tapco mags work just fine @14 per

Back
Top Bottom