• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Riverbend Gun Club 5k run and gun

I guess the times included shooting the stages? Next time, I’ll be there. Looking forward to meeting some of you.

For your gear and rifle choices, would you have done anything different? Was the AR/AK the best choice? I was thinking about using my 700 5r, but wasn’t sure on round count and types of shooting if that would have been a good choice.

Either AR or AK is fine, but for this course of fire optics was a big plus. Several guys ran AK47s or 74s with irons only but I didn't talk to any who made the 600yd shot. The drop and wind at that distance is no joke for 7.62x39. I saw a Scar 17, an M1 Garand, and a SKS but nearly everyone had an AR15 with a LPVO.

You could run a 700 bolt action, but it really wouldn't be competitive. All rifle shooting was within 100 yards, except 4 shots on the second stage (needed 3 hits at 275yd and 1 hit at 600yd).

I was thinking about using my 700 5r, but wasn’t sure on round count and types of shooting if that would have been a good choice.

Do IT! This match will either make you fall in love with your rifle or want to leave it in the woods.... preferably at the bottom of one of the hills.

I learned a lot about carrying and deploying guns in difficult conditions, that's an invaluable lesson. This is completely different than USPSA or High Power, where you have a few minutes to get ready. Immediately after humping to the stage, it's show time.

Next time, I'm wearing liner socks. For some reason, I ended up with a huge blister on my little toe. I ruck 30lbs weekly and never had that happen.

For the record ...... I frickin love my rifle and pistol this morning, especially my Nightforce scope. They worked flawlessly ..... the nut behind the scope needs to remember to dial the right elevation though.

I guess the times included shooting the stages? Next time, I’ll be there. Looking forward to meeting some of you.

For your gear and rifle choices, would you have done anything different? Was the AR/AK the best choice? I was thinking about using my 700 5r, but wasn’t sure on round count and types of shooting if that would have been a good choice.

Definitely will be running a rifle with optics for the next one I do. So maybe my sig556r I'll stick with the x39 round and ak mags I think or I might build a an AR just for this sort of thing. All of my gear thanks to @billieco was 100% perfect wouldn't change my load out in that aspect at all. I thought the vest I was wearing was going to kind of suck but I ended up loving it.

The crazy obstacles they had you going over under and threw none of my stuff got snagged.

You are limited to 3min per stage I think running a bolt gun would be a disadvantage on a couple of stages. Plus the rifle shots less then 20yard shots might make it hard but run it and find out you will no for sure when you are done.

View attachment 1572602

Well it was not separated by class and I couldn't hit the 600 yard steel which was expected and got me a did not finish for that stage. Came in 34th overall. I do not remember riverbend being that hilly. Ran it in 54 minutes. The third fastest guy ran it in 49 minutes and the first fastest guy ran it in 43 minutes. So I think my time was good but I need a rifle with optics for the next one of these. Squaded up with Necrosis Necrosis had a great time hung out with another odter that I cant recall his name.

This is what he looked like before he started, he didn’t look like that when he was done. :becky:

Also I would only change one thing about the competition its self. That would be breaking it into 2 classes optics and irons. That way you get to see how you did against people with the same advantages or disadvantages as you. So my 34th overall might have been a 3rd place or whatever in my division.

Dang I didn't know they were gonna figure out places that day. I should have hung around to see where I placed. I was in the first hour of running so I would have had to wait around for a while. Great event though. Had tons of fun!

Back
Top Bottom