• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

RMR/DELTAPOINT should probably be on your self defense pistol

Lionheart

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
En vino veritas
210   0
Reaction score
Ok, I am not an expert. I also know for sure that some members here ARE experts.
What I would like is to hear their opinions on this subject...specifically their opinion on whether the average person would be better served by an optic on their carry and/or bedside self defense pistol.
As an old fart I find those front sites harder to find these days - especially in low light conditions. I am considering going to Deltapoints on my self defense pistols. Before I commit to this I would like to hear a discussion of the pros/cons of this decision.
I already know that a carry gun will be less concealable but I'm not worried about that...more concerned about the speed and percentage of first shot hits in a life/death situation.

Go.

The Sig RMR (Romeo1) take two hands to turn them on,(one to hold the gun, one to turn on the optic) , way too long for a self defense optic. So in a self defense situation, you would be full of holes trying to turn on the optic.

The Sig Romeo 5 comes on when it sense motion, buts its too big for a self defense carry pistol, unless you had a top rail on you carry gun, which is probably not the case.

Either iron sites for me on my carry gun, or laser on my bedside home defense guns.

So the Deltapoint RMR comes on automatically, when it senses motion, so its going to be ON most of the time you have it on you body. Probably in the car too. So you are probably going to be putting a battery in it every week. I got a Sig Romeo5 from a guy that complained about battery life on his carry weapon, that optic comes on when it senses motion.

For low lights situations I would add a flashlight to a railed carry gun, or a laser grip to a carry gun (lots of options there) and a good set of night sites.

My 2cents.

So the Deltapoint RMR comes on automatically, when it senses motion, so its going to be ON most of the time you have it on you body. Probably in the car too. So you are probably going to be putting a battery in it every week. I got a Sig Romeo5 from a guy that complained about battery life on his carry weapon, that optic comes on when it senses motion.

For low lights situations I would add a flashlight to a railed carry gun, or a laser grip to a carry gun (lots of options there) and a good set of night sites.

My 2cents.

I have a Trijicon RMR on my EDC. It is always on, always ready. I change the battery once a year and have never come back to it being dead.

I change the batteries in ALL of my gun stuff on my birthday every year weather it needs it or not, with the exception of my aimpoint red dots.

Carry confident with the Trijicon RMR.

Ok, I am not an expert. I also know for sure that some members here ARE experts.
What I would like is to hear their opinions on this subject...specifically their opinion on whether the average person would be better served by an optic on their carry and/or bedside self defense pistol.
As an old fart I find those front sites harder to find these days - especially in low light conditions. I am considering going to Deltapoints on my self defense pistols. Before I commit to this I would like to hear a discussion of the pros/cons of this decision.
I already know that a carry gun will be less concealable but I'm not worried about that...more concerned about the speed and percentage of first shot hits in a life/death situation.

Go.

If you are talking average gun owner (not some of the ODT pistol wizards here) I think they would be better served with more ammo and training. It's a terrible trope within the internet gun community but for the average shooters I know they need more practice to truly maximize the RMR. An Rmr will make a good shooter better but it won't turn average to JM.

If you did 20 draws at a good speed with your eyes closed would the sights be perfectly lined up without adjustment 80% + ?

That would be a good point to hop to an Rmr.

It has some noticeable pros:

retain target focus
easier to sight in unortodox shooting positions
easier for older eyes than sights.

Won't turn average to magic though.

The Delta Point is a fine optic, one of the smallest window frames on a red dot that I have found. I am not a fan of any red dot on a pistol as I feel it adds a point of failure to the system, especially if you use said pistol for self defense. However, I have better than perfect vision ( 20/10) and have not looked through your eyes to see just what you see when you try to aim. If you cannot see the sights, the sights are useless. Most old farts that I know can point shoot as good if not better than I can up close in a panic shoot. If the red dot is what you need to feel confident to hit what you are aiming at due to vision problems, the Delta Point would make the short list of options on a carry gun. Maybe a little more than 2 cents but I hope it helps. If you are on my side of town, Id be glad to meet at the range with a pistol with a RMR on it so you can see what it looks and shoots like.

Back
Top Bottom