• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

RMR for EDC

longfastglass

Default rank <4500 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
258   1
Reaction score
I'm going to start using an adjustable led RMR on my edc. I've read that keeping it on the #4 setting will yield a long battery life (4 years). I think leaving it on the automatic mode will give the best sight picture for any setting. I plan on changing the battery every year anyway. I will be indoors without a cover shirt most of the time and with one when outside. I wonder what the battery life will be on the auto setting? The brightness inside appears to be a six. Suggestions/opinions?

Mods should probably move this to the right forum

But I am not a fan of RMR on an EDC gun.

A) The more parts or systems on a defensive gun, the more opportunity for failure during a critical time of need,

B) I wonder how tha will look in a court room after a shooting. "Mr, Longfastgkass, isn't it true that you upgraded to a competition sight system designed to help you shoot multiple targets quickly? "

C). I'm afraid I bump it too often and either damage the sight or throw off the zero.

I've been carrying a Glock 27 with a Trijicon RMR 06 for 4 years!! I love it.I shoot at least 400-500 rounds a week out of it. I carry it everyday and shoot some competitions and it has never lost zero. It is very sturdy. I have used the RMR to cycle the slide and clear jams off tables,pant legs tree limbs all kinds of stuff... I also have a set of Trijicon Suppressor height night sights on it. I also practice drawing and shooting with the RMR off and only using the night sights just in case I had to use them. I would also suggest to put some sho glue on the battery and slide plate to keep a good connection..The only bad thing about it is between the night sights and the RMR equal $650 plus I paid $150 to have RMR cut done to the slide .. that means I have $800 in a $450 gun!! I wouldn't trade it for nothing.. I also have a Glock 23 with the exact same set-up.. RMR, Suppressor Night Sights that I keep by the bed!!

..I am not a fan of RMR on an EDC gun.

B) I wonder how tha will look in a court room after a shooting. "Mr, Longfastgkass, isn't it true that you upgraded to a competition sight system designed to help you shoot multiple targets quickly? ".
A red dot sight improves accuracy. You can be just as fast with open sights, but not while maintaining the same kind of tight groups, or hitting smaller targets at longer ranges.

Putting a red dot sight on your defensive gun helps you engage threats that you might face from 25 or 50 yards away.

It helps you aim better in low light conditions, and most private citizen self-defense shootings happen under low light conditions or at night.

YEAH, you MIGHT BE QUESTIONED about your choice of sighting on your weapon.
So have a good answer to give!
Don't say: "So I can kill more people, faster!"[/QUOTE]

Thanks guys! I have suppressor height sights as well which I think makes the perfect setup. Porter, to my knowledge and research, there has never been a documented case in which a modified weapon has had any bearing on a court case involving a shooting. Two things: I hope to never be in a shooting or the first documented case!

3ea20ad85257fb6ed7924c3a494abe8d.jpg

It's been a week and so far I haven't found a down side. The only things missing in the picture are a can of dip and the iPhone 7plus I took the picture with. I don't have cargo pants I wear my work uniform paints every day. The rmr hasn't changed my carry feel or made me change the way I dress not really even noticeable in my opinion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3ea20ad85257fb6ed7924c3a494abe8d.jpg

It's been a week and so far I haven't found a down side. The only things missing in the picture are a can of dip and the iPhone 7plus I took the picture with. I don't have cargo pants I wear my work uniform paints every day. The rmr hasn't changed my carry feel or made me change the way I dress not really even noticeable in my opinion

what keeps the lens from getting lint and dust covered?

The rubber cover over the rmr. It isn't ideal as I'd have to take it off to use it but I'm still figuring out the best way to carry with the optic and not nasty it up at work. Now if I leave the shop the cover comes off and goes in my center console. That way if needed for personal defense I don't have to try and fiddle with the cover. But if I'm at the shop and I have to draw well that's another story.

Back
Top Bottom