• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

RMR for EDC

I just wipe my RMR off with a cloth about once a week and I use Rain-X to clean off RMR and it helps with humidity and using RMR in the rain.. I also put clear finger nail polish lightly on RMR dial adjustments once I zeroed RMR in to make sure my adjustments neve move from bumping around but you will be able to move adjustments when you want to. Also use a plate between the frame and the RMR.(I got mine through Suarez International USA).
I also use sho glue from Walmart to glue battery to the plate to make a great contact and keeps battery secure from the pounding RMR takes from pistol recoil.. I've been running this setup for years with no problems.. I trust my life to my set-up

About to order a new holster for my P07 that I just got milled for an RMR, and it has suppressor height sights on it. Question for the folks out there: I will be carrying appendix. DO I need to get a full length sweat guard or no sweat guard. I have holsters with the full length but don't know if the RMR will interfere with that

Check out the Lux from Armadillo Concealment. The most comfortable AWIB holster I've ever used.

IMG_0003.JPG

Did you get a sweat guard or no sweat guard? I will check them out but GEARCRAFT is my go to
I love some Gearcraft too. Have tons of pieces from Billie....

But the Armadillo guys have really got their AIWB dialed in. Has a super low profile "wing" to keep the butt go the gun tight (seen in the photo just to the left of the belt clip) and a large flat spot molded on the inside edge of the muzzle (facing your groin) that reslly makes it more comfortable than a conventionally molded kydex setup.

I'll grab a pic of front and back, next to my Gearcraft, so you can see the difference. Stand by.

It's easy enough to clean the lens and pretty obvious if it needs it. I carry a G19 with a Deltapoint Pro and have been using it for my EDC for several months. With my eyesight it's the only way to go. I also shoot it in Carry Optics and a local "defensive" match. I haven't found a downside yet.

So here you can see the front/back of the Armadillo (black) and the GearCraft (grey).

The GearCraft gets the nod for smoothness of draw, but that's the only category is wins (for me).

There is absolutely zero wrong with the GearCraft, the Armadillo guys just came up with something unique that slims the height of the holster up.

The slimness is due to the design uniqueness of the Armadillo (kydex is folded around the light instead of the top of the pistol as most guys do it). That height might not seem like much in a photo, but it makes a world of difference when it's shoved down your pants.

You can also see the ledge molded into the Armadillo at the muzzle that makes it that much more comfy. Especially when seated.

IMG_0168.JPG
IMG_0169.JPG
IMG_0170.JPG

And I usually go without a sweat guard for AIWB... otherwise it's pretty uncomfortable moving around without a gun in it. Really digs into you.

Been using two Trijicon RMR's for over 5 years now. My first (RMR06, 3.25MOA dot) on a ATEI milled G17, the other (RMR09, 1MOA dot) on a ATEI milled G19. These guns and optics have been grossly misused and subjected to more abuse than normal EDC would provide. I replace batteries and confirm zero once a year, on my birthday.

BATTERY - Battery life is spec'd at 4 years on setting 4. However, if you replace annually you can run it at any brightness with no concern. I actually prefer a smaller dot, due to the intense brightness these RMR's can produce. When on full brightness, the dot tends to "bloom" taking on an increased visual size.

LINT/HUMIDITY - My optics always have lint on them, I carry AIWB with an undershirt. It never is a problem. Even if you completely occlude the lens, your eyes marry the target image (from one eye) with the dot image (from the other eye) seamlessly, providing a excellent sight picture. This also goes for humidity, however anti-fog applications greatly reduce this. I have taken several classes were it has rained, with no real issues. Notice that no one has concern about their rifle Aimpoint becoming useless in the rain.

COST - They cost, a lot. Milling, finishing, optics, and possibly new holsters. However, many of us own many guns and have only two hands. I started to realize that putting money and effort into rifle gadgets and classes while good, was misplaced. 99% of the time I am carrying a handgun, and as a defensive tool I want it as effective and as easy to use as possible. Adding an optic gives a quantifiable increase in accuracy.

EASE OF USE - Switching to optics on a handgun has a learning curve. However they work with how we naturally want to see and focus. With handgun optics you simply look at the target (just like with a rifle) not the optic, and adjust the location of the dot as necessary. I cannot recommend them enough.

Back
Top Bottom