• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

RMR or red dot on a 1911?

Would you mount a RMR / red dot on a 1911?

• Oh yeah all day long

Votes: 7 38.9%
  • Hail to the naw naw

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Blasphemy! Like a bobtail mainspring housing

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Only if it came with a free taco mount

Votes: 6 33.3%

• Total voters

Deleted member 79987

Default rank 5000+ posts
Good enough for government work
79   0
Reaction score
Seems a lot of companies are offering this now. Without thinking about costs (such as milling out a 1911 slide or buying a pre-made 1911 with a red dot option), any ODT'ers own / use one of these? What is it like carrying, drawing, shooting, holstering, etc?

In for info/thoughts.
I have a RIA Tac Ultra that I'd think about getting milled for an RMR. It's not like a $700+ Kimber or Sig, so I'd be far more willing to mill it.
Though I'm sure there will be 1911 purists chiming in on how the 1911 is perfect as is.

To my eye the 1911 is too slim to look decent with most red dots. They hang way out over the edges (just like in the video).

A 2011 race gun, sure. Even a double-stack for carry I can see, but not the standard single stack.

We used ketchup growing up cause that's all we had. A good steak doesn't need sauce. I don't really like ice and rarely drink beer

We all learn as we get older. I used to drown everything in ketchup. Even made ketchup sammiches as a kid. I'm kind of over that stuff now.

As a range toy or competition gear it has an application. For serious work, the technology just isn’t there yet. Eventually, having a RDS on your EDC will be as ubiquitous as tritium sights are now.

Most RDS on handguns use an open emitter and there are just too many issues with carrying those holstered. SIG has a prototype P320 where the RDS is enclosed entirely within the slide. It’s still a
prototype and they have a lot of kinks to work out. When this type of RDS is perfected, that would be the ticket.

Back
Top Bottom