• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

RMR or red dot on a 1911?

Would you mount a RMR / red dot on a 1911?

• Oh yeah all day long

Votes: 7 38.9%
  • Hail to the naw naw

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Blasphemy! Like a bobtail mainspring housing

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Only if it came with a free taco mount

Votes: 6 33.3%

• Total voters
I run a RMR on my Host, it's a fun range toy, but not something I would carry. The glass gets funky after lots of firing.

Do you carry it every day?
I carry a Glock 19 with an RMR everyday. I know it’s not a 1911 with RMR, but I can vouch for the RMR as a daily carry setup.

As BigMike BigMike said, the RMR will get covered in powder after a bit of shooting, but just like a red dot, use two eyes open and it doesn’t matter, it doesn’t however get gross from just carrying it.

If it’s your EDC and the glass is covered in powder, the job has been overdone already and you are now waiting for the police to show up.

Don’t try and shoot one in the rain, or if the lens gets splashed; you’ll end up looking at a multitude of red dots, trying to figure out which one is the correct one.

Roll around in the dust and dirt, get the lens good and mucked up; no bueno.

You’re in your nice, warm car and get out into the cold. If you haven’t treated your lens, there’s a good chance that you know have a fogged up mess.

An open emitter is not the way to go for a combat optic on a handgun, but as of now that’s what we’re stuck with if you want compact and low-mounted. Like I said, the technology just ain’t there yet.

Eventually, RDS-mounted pistols will be the norm......we just ain’t there yet.

Back
Top Bottom