• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Road trip to New Hampshire.

Maggiemaeodie

Default rank <750 posts Supporter
Frontiersman
52   0
Reaction score
we are going to drive up for a long Thanksgiving week. We will go up I 81 thru Pennsylvania, Upstate New York and Vermont.
Does anyone know about their gun laws? My wife and I have a CCW permit.
Handgun ok? I plan to have a short shotgun too.

I just did that trip last month. GA reciprocates with most of the states in between and NH. Do not get pulled over in MD, NY, CT or Mass. Also most of those states are hands free phone states and their fines are ridiculous.... Just curious why VT? What part of NH

My wife and I want to take a trip in the fall, not necessarily this fall, to the New England states. I have decided that as much as it will bother me, I will do so unarmed. The risk of legal problems resulting from a stop and search for some minor infraction in NY, Ma NH, or ME, is too great.
Pisses me off and may in fact cause us not to go.
Might go to Canada as well, which would definitely be a no go on the firearm.

I just did that trip last month. GA reciprocates with most of the states in between and NH. Do not get pulled over in MD, NY, CT or Mass. Also most of those states are hands free phone states and their fines are ridiculous.... Just curious why VT? What part of NH
To miss NYC, Mass.
Going to Sandwich, it’s north of Laconia.

The key for all of these is do not start, stop or end in a state where your gun is illegal, and follow teh FOPA rules (gun locked separately from ammo, both in the trunk and preferable packed in separate luggage so they aren't visible.

Your carry permit means nothing for a good chunk of the trip, so don't even bother thinking about it. The good news is that both VT and NH are Constitutional Carry, so you are good once you get there.

The best thing about New England is the states are small, so you can get across most. I would stop in Pennsylvania for the night, then blast through to NH that next day.

And leave the 'short' shotgun at home... there no need and even in 'free' states NFA-tweakers like the Shockwave can get you in hot water, no matter what the court finally decides. Do yourself a favor and leave the toys at home. A good pistol and a couple of extra mags is all you need and no one can argue about how they are classified.

Back
Top Bottom