• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

robber may sue man who overpowered him

Did you even read the article on the link I posted? So if she didn't spill it on her legs, but rather drank it and burned her entire mouth, would that be different?

I guess if you go to Subway and ate some glass in a meatball sub, and they had had 700 reports of having glass in their meatballs but didn't tell anyone, you would just chalk it up to your fault?

• McDonald’s admitted it had known about the risk of serious burns from its scalding hot coffee for more than 10 years. The risk had repeatedly been brought to its attention through numerous other claims and suits.
  • An expert witness for the company testified that the number of burns was insignificant compared to the billions of cups of coffee the company served each year.
  • At least one juror later told the Wall Street Journal she thought the company wasn’t taking the injuries seriously. To the corporate restaurant giant those 700 injury cases caused by hot coffee seemed relatively rare compared to the millions of cups of coffee served. But, the juror noted, “there was a person behind every number and I don’t think the corporation was attaching enough importance to that.”
  • McDonald’s quality assurance manager testified that McDonald’s coffee, at the temperature at which it was poured into Styrofoam cups, was not fit for consumption because it would burn the mouth and throat.

Coffee is often prepared at about 194 to 205 degrees Fahrenheit. It's best served at about 160-175 degrees f. In any case, while the coffee may have been served too hot for a moron or disabled person to handle, who bears responsibility? I have little sympathy from her. If she ordered an ice cold beverage and was served scalding coffee, that's one thing. Ordering a freshly prepared cup of coffee or hot pizza and then burning yourself with it because you are a clutz or can't give it a minute to cool? That makes you a moron.

Serious question, hopefully not to derail my own thread too much lol.

How hot does coffee or any other liquid have to be to cause 3rd degree burns? I would think if the coffee was kept that hot, the coffee itself would smell/taste burnt and not be fit for consumption?

[QUOTE="palmettomoon, post: 7511691, member: 1384 Ordering a freshly prepared cup of coffee or hot pizza and then burning yourself with it because you are a clutz or can't give it a minute to cool? That makes you a moron.[/QUOTE]

Thanks palmettomoon palmettomoon !!!! Do you know how many times I've burned the roof of my mouth on hot pizza? Dammit man! :pound: :pound: :pound:

That actually wasn't as frivolous as you might think. It was to the point of negligence

The coffee was not just “hot,” but dangerously hot. McDonald’s corporate policy was to serve it at a temperature that could cause serious burns in seconds. Mrs. Liebeck’s injuries were far from frivolous. She was wearing sweatpants that absorbed the coffee and kept it against her skin. She suffered third-degree burns (the most serious kind) and required skin grafts on her inner thighs and elsewhere.

Liebeck’s case was far from an isolated event. McDonald’s had received more than 700 previous reports of injury from its coffee, including reports of third-degree burns, and had paid settlements in some cases.

https://www.caoc.org/?pg=facts
Thank you. Lots of people point to this case as the 'frivolous standard" but it was in fact a sound case that shined the light on the negligence of McD's. People who say "she should have known it was hot" are only half right. I'm sure she was aware it was hot but scalding hot? No need to pour plasma in a cup and serve it.

Their coffee is still WAY too hot to drink when they pass it out the window. If I get it in store, I'll drop a couple of ice cubes in it to cool it down to 189 degrees!!

Serious question, hopefully not to derail my own thread too much lol.

How hot does coffee or any other liquid have to be to cause 3rd degree burns? I would think if the coffee was kept that hot, the coffee itself would smell/taste burnt and not be fit for consumption?

walshsouth.com_forum_burn_scale.gif

I think it has more to do with the length of time it's against the skin's surface than the temp.

I've had molten lead hit my skin but sweat gassed off and the lead wasn't in contact for more than a nanosecond. 700 degrees and no burn. On the the other hand, I've cooked pizza in my own oven where I've set the temp and knew it to be hot but since I was a hungry moron I popped a bite in my mouth and promptly blistered the **** out of it. Maybe I should sue the pizza company since there was no warning to not try to eat 425 degree pizza on the box.

Coffee is often prepared at about 194 to 205 degrees Fahrenheit. It's best served at about 160-175 degrees f. In any case, while the coffee may have been served too hot for a moron or disabled person to handle, who bears responsibility? I have little sympathy from her. If she ordered an ice cold beverage and was served scalding coffee, that's one thing. Ordering a freshly prepared cup of coffee or hot pizza and then burning yourself with it because you are a clutz or can't give it a minute to cool? That makes you a moron.

Apparently a jury of your peers, who heard all the facts, disagree with you.

It's also not as much about the coffee itself and being hot, it was about McDonalds negligence in the case. They had over 700 reported issues, they knew it was burning people, and they made a choice to ignore it based on the # sold vs the # of complaints. That really stuck in the jury's craw.

Oh, and the 79 year old lady would have settled for $20k to cover her medical expenses and McDonalds said $800 and piss off. That's when it went to trial and the jury awarded her $3M.

In a story about the case published shortly after the verdict was delivered in 1994, one of the jurors said over the course of the trial he came to realize the case was about “callous disregard for the safety of the people.” Another juror said “the facts were so overwhelmingly against the company

I think it has more to do with the length of time it's against the skin's surface than the temp.

I've had molten lead hit my skin but sweat gassed off and the lead wasn't in contact for more than a nanosecond. 700 degrees and no burn. On the the other hand, I've cooked pizza in my own oven where I've set the temp and knew it to be hot but since I was a hungry moron I popped a bite in my mouth and promptly blistered the **** out of it. Maybe I should sue the pizza company since there was no warning to not try to eat 425 degree pizza on the box.

Let's make it a "class action." I have done the same thing, you just can't spit it out fast enough. lol

Back
Top Bottom