• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Rocksett

20   0
Reaction score
Okay guys so I got a rookie question, so I was putting on my surefire muzzle device and applied the rocksett that came with it, while doing so I had gotten pulled off my project before i could align the break up right and now it sits about a 1/4”(maybe a little more) off center. I have a surefire warden I’ll be putting over it. So my question is how do I remove the dang break to align it up correctly lol it is on a 11.5” colt barrel chrome lined so I’m not worried about rust and i have been told to set the tip of the barrel In water to help free the rocksett off. Or tell me what you would do or if you’d even worry about it with the warden over the break anyway

I use a Geissele Reaction Rod or Super Reaction Rod pending how tight it is for MOST applications. If you covered the threads in the stuff, it will be substantially difficult to remove. Some swear by the boiling water method, but it’s never worked for me. If I have the ability to clamp the barrel in a barrel vice, I will do that instead and use a quality wrench and just put ass behind it.

Just note, barrels can rotate out of their barrel extensions with this procedure using the RR/SRR or BEV if they werent torqued to 150 ft/lbs. even saw a proof research barrel back out.

Just know that stuff holds on tight, much much more than any crush washer MD you may have messed with.

I use a Geissele Reaction Rod or Super Reaction Rod pending how tight it is for MOST applications. If you covered the threads in the stuff, it will be substantially difficult to remove. Some swear by the boiling water method, but it’s never worked for me. If I have the ability to clamp the barrel in a barrel vice, I will do that instead and use a quality wrench and just put ass behind it.

Just note, barrels can rotate out of their barrel extensions with this procedure using the RR/SRR or BEV if they werent torqued to 150 ft/lbs. even saw a proof research barrel back out.

Just know that stuff holds on tight, much much more than any crush washer MD you may have messed with.

Any advice on installation? Besides clean both surfaces. I’m trying to decide if a wrench will get it tight enough, or to buy the tool that grabs it by the prongs and allows you to use a proper torque wrench. I’ve search around for advice, and found very little. I want to assure my suppressor will come off, and not bring the mount with it.

Any advice on installation? Besides clean both surfaces. I’m trying to decide if a wrench will get it tight enough, or to buy the tool that grabs it by the prongs and allows you to use a proper torque wrench. I’ve search around for advice, and found very little. I want to assure my suppressor will come off, and not bring the mount with it.
A little goes a long way. Use 2 drops on the barrel threads and one in the MD. Spin it on and back if off half way, then spin back up snug quickly. The AAC tool does make tightening it much easier, but you can use a crows foot. The wrench flats just are not very forgiving if you’re not careful. Remember, MD manufacturers will likely have different torque values for each size MD -> 1/2-28 will typically have a lesser value than a 5/8-24 MD. Torque them according to the correct spec.

Lastly, if you are still having trouble removing the MD. Hit it with MAPP gas for 20-30ish seconds. I know you will hear that heat doesn’t do anything to it (even I use to think so), but this worked to loosen a MD that would not budge otherwise. Quite a few experienced guys use this method as well.

Back
Top Bottom