• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Rotten wood repair?

spistols

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
310   0
Reaction score
Have some treated wood holding up a berm of dirt. The upright posts have some top rot in them (where water sits), but the rest of the posts are great. Would anyone recommend using the chemical treatment they use to brush on boat transoms to help stop the rot?, or is there any other idea of what to use for these posts?

I was thinking of pouring in outdoor deck sealer to fill in the hole, but not sure if this will last long.

They make a product to fill in this type of stuff with. I'm not sure how it holds up to the elements though. Once wood starts to rot it typically is over for that piece of wood. You have to dig out past the rot to get to the good part. I have found that most of the time there just isn't enough left to save or worth saving. You might be able to sister it up if it's structural.

Best thing you can do is shape the ground to get the water away from them.

Not sure what kind of room you have to work with, but if you can dig some space down around the post where it goes into the ground, pour a few inches of gravel at the bottom, and then some concrete on top of that, with the top of the concrete finished to slope away from the post, you might get some additional years out of it.

Some kind of paint-on rot treatment before the concrete can help kill the organisms currently eating the post, but if you don't solve the water problem, it will come back.

Here is an example of what I have.

Attachments

• 20220114_184504.jpg
    20220114_184504.jpg
    267.9 KB · Views: 52
If you cannot cut the top down (with a chamfer) I'd look at a polyester filler and once set up, use metal flashing cut to shape and tacked in place to shed water.

Back
Top Bottom