• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Round count

Amen! I mean how many of us are like "oh crap it's 1,000 rounds, I would've bought it at 500 rounds...."

Would you pay full price for an automobile with 45,000 miles on it? It still has plenty of miles left on it - whether you are going to use them or not. And you might want to sell that car one day. Those 45,000 miles will still be on that car when you sell it AND it affects the price.

So, why shouldn't the wear and tear on a firearm be equally considered? Most experts place the life of an AR barrel at 8000 rounds (though that was before cryogenic treatments, Melonite, etc.) Then again, hotter loads have to be figured in and so does steel case ammo today. AND you don't know how hot the loads someone has shot or whether they shoot a lot of steel core, etc. But, using an AR as an example, why would you pay full retail if that rifle has had over a thousand rounds put through it. It would be tantamount to buying a car with 45,000 miles on it and paying full retail of the same model new. Why do we do that?

Check out the prices of used guns here compared to real online sales prices. People try to get back the cost of the weapon, the taxes, and even the shipping and FFL costs (if you buy one that has to be shipped) back. The good deals - where the weapon is 15 percent or below full retail are gone in a couple of hours. Guns don't suffer depreciation until a new generation of weapon comes out.

I have a S&W 586 that I used to shoot PPC with. 500 rounds a week was not unusual.

I'm tempted to put it up for sale just so when someone asks "How many rounds", I can say "dunno, stopped counting at 10,000."

Back
Top Bottom