• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Ruger .45 Blackhawk undersized cylinder throats

Rush_Fan

Default rank <1250 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
160   0
Reaction score
Just bought a new mid-size, stainless steel Lipsey's Flattop Blackhawk convertible in .45 Colt and .45 acp (2 separate cylinders). The cylinder throats in both cylinders are undersized. I can't push a .452" cast lead bullet into the cylinder from the front of the cylinder. I have read on a couple of websites (Single Action Proboards and Ruger Forum.net) that this is a common problem with Rugers. To prevent leading and increased pressures which could cause endshake issues, I want to ream the cylinder throats to .4525."
I would rather find a gunsmith experienced with this process than rent a reamer online (about $36 plus shipping and insurance, plus cutting fluid/oil) and do it myself. I don't want to mess it up.
I emailed or called 3 gunsmiths and they don't ream cylinders. Does anyone know of a gunsmith in the metro Atlanta or N. GA area that does this? If I can't find anyone, I may send the cylinders off to a guy in N.C. (Cylinderhone, or something like that), but he's on vacation for another week.

I may do that, but was trying to avoid that. Ruger won't ream the cylinders (or so I've read from others). If they replace the cylinders I may end up with the same problem.

Just bought a new mid-size, stainless steel Lipsey's Flattop Blackhawk convertible in .45 Colt and .45 acp (2 separate cylinders). The cylinder throats in both cylinders are undersized. I can't push a .452" cast lead bullet into the cylinder from the front of the cylinder. I have read on a couple of websites (Single Action Proboards and Ruger Forum.net) that this is a common problem with Rugers. To prevent leading and increased pressures which could cause endshake issues, I want to ream the cylinder throats to .4525."
I would rather find a gunsmith experienced with this process than rent a reamer online (about $36 plus shipping and insurance, plus cutting fluid/oil) and do it myself. I don't want to mess it up.
I emailed or called 3 gunsmiths and they don't ream cylinders. Does anyone know of a gunsmith in the metro Atlanta or N. GA area that does this? If I can't find anyone, I may send the cylinders off to a guy in N.C. (Cylinderhone, or something like that), but he's on vacation for another week.
Fermin Garza (2 Dogs) on Single Action Pro Boards does that. Probably won't find a more knowledgeable guy to do it. I wouldn't trust anyone around here.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

If Jim Stroh is still doin' it, he's your man. Alpha Precision Inc. @ 706-783-2131 in Comer Ga. He's built a bunch of shootin' irons for
John Taffin (Sixgunner).

If you can push a jacketed bullet through, you may want to leave it alone. I say this because I have a couple of the 357s. One has larger cylinder throats and shoots cast very well. The other has tighter throats and does an excellent job with hot jacketed bullets.

There was a good story in Handgunner mag this issue about doing this. Any competent gunsmith should have no problem doing it, if you aren't up to doing it yourself. It's getting harder to find a good one these days. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom