• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Ruger AR 556 Help

Leaving out a ton of info.

Shooting off hand, on bags, in rifle rest?

Which kind of optic, RDS, magnified, fixed power, brand?

Mount and where it's mounted and how you mounted it?

Are you trying to zero at 100 from the get go? Why not zero at 25, then move to the 100 once you know you are close?

Has this rifle been zeroed before with other optic and no issues?

Have you made sure your mount and optic are properly secured in the mount/rings per manufacturers specs?

Are your rings in the forward position on the rail section?

Are you positive the reticle is not broken and floating around in the optic? (can happen to any of them, but WAY WAY more common in the cheap bargain bin stuff)

As noted above, you don't have this mounted on a flimsy drop in quad rail, do you?

Does this ammo have known accuracy issues in other rifle you possibly have?

Etc....

More details and possibly pictures, or we are all just grasping at straws here....

The last few times I've gone to the range, I've tried to zero my scope at 100 yards and I'm having rounds go all over, nothing consistent. Thinking it's an ammo problem. What are other people running through this rifle (or similar AR platforms)?

Thanks guys. I've tried perfecta and federal American eagle (both 55 grain FMJ)

Both the Perfecta (re-branded Fiocchi) and American Eagle should work fine in a Ruger AR-556. Depending on which American Eagle, both should have about the same POI and be fairly consistent for range ammo. Have you changed anything or is it completely factory?

Anytime there's an issue getting a zero, the mount is usually the problem 99% of the time. God only knows how many rifles I've zeroed, and it happened to me the other day. It was my first time with a Larue Lt104 mount and me not using the instructions.

If it's not the mount, and it is a decent quality optic, make sure the barrel nut is torqued down right.

Hey guys, sorry I haven't been on the site for awhile.

I'm running a 3-9x40 Nikon p223 and shoot from bags at the nearby dnr range. The cause for my concern is that I began zero-inflg at 25 and 50 yards it was fine, but at 100 it was crazy. By all over the place I mean one would be on the target and the next wouldn't even be on paper. No discernible grouping whatsoever. I made sure the optic was mounted right and the optic itself was brand new straight from the manufacturer.
By all over the place what do you mean? 6" groups? 12" groups? How much time do you have behind an AR? Twist rate, length, and 55g ammo for your set up should all produce acceptable groups at 100 yards. Are you on a sled? Are you bag supporting? What power is your scop and what brand? Most of my optics are as much if not more than the weapon they ride on. A lot of factors to consider id love to try and help if you can provide some more info. Any pics of target?

I have three ruger ar 556 and shoot 62 grain fmj and soft point. all three are sub moa with a good scope and shooting off bags. 1/8 twist. these Rugers out perform my colt ar556. take the scope off and use your iron sights....... YOU should be stacking 'em up at 50 yards with iron sights.

Back
Top Bottom