• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Ruger LC9: Not off to a good start

23   0
Reaction score

So yesterday my buddy and I shot his new Ruger LC9 for the first time. He is not very familiar with handguns so he asked me to come along. Also, I wanted to compare it to my Kel-Tec PF9. First impression of the Ruger was great! Looks good, feels good, and shoots great. I'm not the best pistol shooter, but we were both hitting every steel target we fired at. After about 30 rounds or so I switched to a "Shoot and See" target. At about 12 yards I had a 3 inch group going with 5 rounds. On the 6th round I had no trigger. The trigger did not reset and the 6th round was in the chamber ready to fire. Safety is still on fire and still no trigger. I called him over to see that I hadn't done anything, but try to fire the next round. I racked the slide to eject the 6th round and it worked fine and chambered the 7th round. Back on target and still no trigger. I racked the slide and ejected the round. Gun is now empty and still no trigger. Safety lever is now stuck in fire. Trigger won't reset and safety lever is stuck with less than 40 rounds through this brand new gun. Hopefully, Shooters Depot will swap him for a new one. I totally understand that Ruger will have some kinks to work out with a brand new line, but my buddy was still pretty bummed. Anybody else heard of these issues with the LC9?

So yesterday my buddy and I shot his new Ruger LC9 for the first time. He is not very familiar with handguns so he asked me to come along. Also, I wanted to compare it to my Kel-Tec PF9. First impression of the Ruger was great! Looks good, feels good, and shoots great. I'm not the best pistol shooter, but we were both hitting every steel target we fired at. After about 30 rounds or so I switched to a "Shoot and See" target. At about 12 yards I had a 3 inch group going with 5 rounds. On the 6th round I had no trigger. The trigger did not reset and the 6th round was in the chamber ready to fire. Safety is still on fire and still no trigger. I called him over to see that I hadn't done anything, but try to fire the next round. I racked the slide to eject the 6th round and it worked fine and chambered the 7th round. Back on target and still no trigger. I racked the slide and ejected the round. Gun is now empty and still no trigger. Safety lever is now stuck in fire. Trigger won't reset and safety lever is stuck with less than 40 rounds through this brand new gun. Hopefully, Shooters Depot will swap him for a new one. I totally understand that Ruger will have some kinks to work out with a brand new line, but my buddy was still pretty bummed. Anybody else heard of these issues with the LC9?

Have not heard of these problems, however when Ruger comes out with something new it seems to have some issues.

I am in the market for a pocket 9mm. However after finding out these have a magazine disconnect, I say no thank you.

Issues like this are always the reason I wait a year or two before buying a new design. There are always inevitable fleas to be worked out.. especially with little guns.

I like Ruger stuff ........... but Im not suprised ;(

Its like they never do enuff testing on these things ....

It's because the vast majority of end users hardly ever shoot their guns. It's a cost thing. Why spend a bunch of money up front when you will eventually spend less just making little retrofits to certain guns later? Doing this lets the users be the beta testers who spend their own ammo and time diagnosing problems/finding kinks in the system.

Sig has done the same thing. It's much easier to fix one of the few guns that are being shot than put them through the whole battery of QC like major gov't contract guns.

Just read the article in the new Gun Tests magazine last night that compared the Kel Tec and the new Ruger. They gave the advantage to the lower priced Kel Tec. It tested more accurately and they also knocked the Ruger for the mag. disconnect. I haven't had any personal experience.

Why spend a bunch of money up front when you will eventually spend less just making little retrofits to certain guns later? Doing this lets the users be the beta testers who spend their own ammo and time diagnosing problems/finding kinks in the system.

Gee, I dunno...How about cuz when yer gaming system glitches you don't DIE? You don't have your customers "beta test" FIREARMS! If that's Rugers policy then maybe they should be sued till they have to close their damn doors permanently. As far back as I can remember with Ruger autos, the lesson is clear. NEVER buy one till after the first recall at least.

Yeah, I read the Gun Test article too. Kel Tec PF9 Grade A. Ruger LC9 Grade C. I wonder if the gun the OP has problems with has a magazine disconnector malfunction.

Back
Top Bottom