• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Ruger M77 bolt issue

mhayes

Default rank <1000 posts Lifetime Supporter
Frontiersman
43   0
Reaction score
Hey guys. I have a Ruger skeleton stock 243, stainless if that matters any. After firing a round or just dry firing in the shop, the bolt sticks. It’s not a full blown get a hammer to fix stick. But you do have to pop it pretty hard with your palm to get it that last millimeter up so that it will pull back. It then moves halfway out and seems to stick again. You either have to have some good momentum going or jerk it to finish ejecting. Again it does this with or without an actual round being in the chamber. I have other M77’s that operate a lot smoother than this one. Some older and some newer. I have cleaned the chamber, bolt and lubed really good. Still no fix. Any suggestions on what to try or to inspect? Thanks in advance.
Matt

Thanks, I checked it out good and cleaned it. It’s stainless and nice and shiny inside. I’ve lubricated it with a few different types of stuff and noting seems to change it.

remove the bolt and color the rails with a sharpie. Replace the bolt and work it through a cycle, look at the bolt rails and see if there are any places where the sharpie wore off indicating a high spot. Judiciously buff down any high spots.

Back
Top Bottom