• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Ruger Mini 30

HoopDawg42

Default rank 5000+ posts Lifetime Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
29   0
Reaction score
Alright...I've been thinking that I want a Mini 30 for a while now and have ran across a very early model for what "I" feel is a reasonable price and in reasonable condition. I really don't know that much about the model so somebody school me on these. Oh yeah. Before the AR and AK gurus chime in, I'm really not a fan of those platforms.

I've just never been a fan of the platform, whether it's the Mini-14 or the Mini-30. I've never felt either were all that accurate (although they're at least as accurate as the average AK) and the only magazines that work reliably are the Ruger factory magazines, which tend to be expensive. I seem to remember that every LEO I saw show up to a carbine course with an issued Ruger Mini-14 failed the course due to accuracy. If not every single LEO, than dang near every one......they were usually GBI agents. Nothing against the GBI, but that was an issued weapon for them at the time. LEO's with AR's rarely had a problem passing the course.

The only factory magazines I've ever seen, or heard of, for the Mini-30 are 5 and 20 round magazines, so no reliable 30 rounders for you. The 20rd factory Ruger mags tend to go for $30 or more. That's 2-3 times what I've paid for high quality, steel, 30rd AK magazines. I think the last ones I bought were some sort of Eastern European manufacturer and I paid just under $10 each for them......they work flawlessly.

I'm a huge fan of the M1 Garand and M14/M1A platform, but always felt that Ruger missed the mark with this platform.

The fact that the magazines are only 20rds and cost at least $30 is enough to steer me away from the platform, when there are excellent, reliable platforms available in the same caliber that will do everything the Ruger will do and more, with plentiful, cheap 30 round magazines available.

Maybe you're thinking to yourself, "I don't like 30 round magazines. All I want are mags of 20 rounds and less". Magpul 10 and 20 round AK mags are around $12 each.

Absolutely loved my Mini 30 that I had about 5 years ago. Stupid mistake selling it. I have never understood why people say the mini 14 or 30 isn’t accurate. Back in my better eyesight days, me and my buddy shot milk jugs at 200 plus yards all the time with our 80’s models Mini 14’s with the open peep sights with the cheapest ammo we could find. The 30 I had was as accurate as any AR or AK I have ever shot. Yea the magazines need to be Ruger factory mags to be the most reliable but I have several non factory mags that are very reliable also. Absolutely love Ruger products. Just my 2 cents.

I’ve always wanted a mini 30 but my dad bought a mini 14 that wouldn’t hit the broadside of a barn. It was a ranch model with a decent scope on it(tried two different scopes). Tried every weight bullet from multiple manufacturers too. It was just a turd. Really turned me off from the platform.

Absolutely loved my Mini 30 that I had about 5 years ago. Stupid mistake selling it. I have never understood why people say the mini 14 or 30 isn’t accurate. Back in my better eyesight days, me and my buddy shot milk jugs at 200 plus yards all the time with our 80’s models Mini 14’s with the open peep sights with the cheapest ammo we could find. The 30 I had was as accurate as any AR or AK I have ever shot. Yea the magazines need to be Ruger factory mags to be the most reliable but I have several non factory mags that are very reliable also. Absolutely love Ruger products. Just my 2 cents.

I can hit a milk jug at 200yds with a Beretta 92. That ain’t a standard of accuracy for a rifle or carbine.

I can hit a milk jug at 200yds with a Beretta 92. That ain’t a standard of accuracy for a rifle or carbine.
Good for you. Wasn’t saying it was a standard for accuracy simply saying that a Mini 14 or 30 is a decent rifle. I guess mine that was built back in the early 80’s is an exception to the ones that won’t hit the broad side of a barn. LOL

I have owned several of the Mini 30's and accuracy was okay. The only problems I experienced was feeding issues with a non Ruger magazine. Another problem to consider is that most of them will not eat the Russian steel ammo without some modification. Replace the factory hammer spring and recoil spring with Wolf Springs and the feeding problem disappears. Overall, I feel they are a good rifle.

Thanks guys for your input...it is well valued. For the most part I'm a utilitarian and use tools for what they are designed and expect them to function properly within the design. In the case of this tool, I may request a demonstration prior to purchase to verify functionality. Thanks again!

I really like the look of these and I had to have one, until after I did for a while. Eventually I sold it because it just was not a better platform for 7.62x39. They are built for rather light duty so shooting a few mags will warm it up and that tends to affect accuracy. Still like the look of these though.

If you want "AK" cal but not the roughness of a typical AK, look for a VEPR.

Back
Top Bottom