• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Ruger PC9 Carbine (Pistol Caliber Carbine)

Should a Pistol Caliber Carbine be listed in the Handgun or Rifle Forum

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
BTW, the "PC9" is the old, 1990s version tha Ruger put out. This new one is the PCC (Pistol Caliber Carbine) since it's available in more than 9mm (hopefully a lot more at some point).

Not trying to be persnickety, but I just automatically expect to see one of the old ones when I see "PC9" listed.
My bad, this is the new PCC9, not the old PC9, thank you for the heads up!

I heard a Ruger guy do it at SHOT show in an interview. Maybe when they come out with the 10mm or the 45 ACP version folks will start calling it the "PCC".

Of course that's what everyone calls the USPSA category in competition, so that's confusing too...

If I'm looking for a pistol caliber carbine, in any pistol caliber, I'm going to look in the rifle section. It can get a little confusing with chamberings now in so many flavors....and now ARs are available as pistols and rifles! And SBRs! Think I'm gonna go get my AR 12 gauge rifle/shotgun/whatever and go shoot it awhile. :frusty:
Good luck sir.

I thought I was buying a rifle when I got my PC9 (PCC9?......it breaks down whatever it is) and while it wasn’t inexpensive it takes up about the same gunsafe space as my $149 Savage 22 that I don’t ever shoot either!

Some different perspective, actual government definition copy and paste. Youll note that caliber is not a consideration for definition. I dont believe “carbine” is an defined type in the US code, but is defined as a rifle.

(7)
18 U.S. Code§ 921.Definitions
The term “rifle” means a weapon designed or redesigned, made or remade, and intended to be fired from the shoulder and designed or redesigned and made or remade to use the energy of an explosive to fire only a single projectile through a rifled bore for each single pull of the trigger.
short-barreled rifle” means a rifle having one or more barrels less than sixteen inches in length and any weapon made from a rifle (whether by alteration, modification, or otherwise) if such weapon, as modified, has an overall length of less than twenty-six inches.

The term “handgun” means—
firearm which has a short stock and is designed to be held and fired by the use of a single hand; and
firearm described in subparagraph (A) can be assembled.

Tim, I understand that perspective, but the caliber definitely does not fit the rifle forum, neither is the thread getting any response either negative or positive. I think it hamstrings the ability for Pistol caliber carbines to be sold because it is not in front of an audience receptive to or interested in that caliber. Just my thought and perspective.

Thanks!

Marc
A rifle is a firearm with a stock and a barrel 16" or longer.
A pistol is a firearm without a stock and a barrel of any length.

Caliber has nothing to do with it.
There are 308 pistols and .380 rifles.

I experienced the same lack of interest when I decided to sell my Ruger PCC after I decided it was way too heavy for a 9mm carbine. It doesn't have anything to do with being in one forum or the other. I think the market is a bit saturated with 9mm carbines at the moment. Best of luck!

Want to say thanks to all those who responded so far... I am definitely better informed on the reasoning for the PCC9 in the rifle forum based on various input and information received. Thanks for all the assistance!

Semper Fi!

Marc

Back
Top Bottom