• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Ruger precision rifle - Do I really want one?

http://www.ruger.com/products/precisionRifle/specSheets/18004.html

The RPR stock folds to the left.

But you're balking over an additional 2.8 lbs? I guess you could cut some weight off of the folding stock and forearm and maybe get close? But you would prolly lose the folding feature in the process.

I'm guessing the majority of the weight is in the bolt, barrel, and receiver...and if you reduce the weight of the barrel I'm guessing the accuracy will suffer.

Maybe someone's listening?

Not saying it can't be achieved - but to find one in the $1,200 range might be stretching it.
308 RPR barrel is 3.175 (weighed my spare one)
The bolt is .825
upload_2017-4-23_9-43-54.png

upload_2017-4-23_9-44-8.png

Just those two make up 40.82% of the rifle weight. Not sure what re-profiling the bbl would do to accuarcy, but that is not enough material to loose 2.8 Lbs, even if you cut the barrel down length wise too.

Only practical option on the market I can think of is the Mossberg MVP FLEX in 308. Not a folding stock, but supposedly the stock/grip is removable without tools in seconds. Their site lists the rifle with no optics/mag at 7.5 Lbs.

I will say, with a full mag, Harris bipod and the giant scope my gun is NO flyweight, but then again that's not why i bought it. It has very low recoil and is a joy to shoot. I do plan to remove the bipod and hunt with it this fall and I'm lucky I don't have a long hike to my stand.

I want one.

I want one that allows the buttstock to fold. I want a 7 lb. rifle give or take and I want it in .308.

Who's gonna be first? Ruger or Savage?

How much money you ready to spend?

You could swap out the RPR barrel for a Proof Research Carbon Fiber barrel. Will run you about $850 and would save you about 2 lbs.

Could also build from the ground up with weight in mind.

Building a 7lb precision rifle is doable, but pricey. Standard barrel contours used, if using steel, weigh 5 plus lbs in and of themselves, leaving you only 2 lbs for stock/chassis, action, bolt, etc, etc, etc.

Back
Top Bottom